• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M215 is getting a brother

M215

The early 1950s GMC M-series trucks have always been some of my favorite soft skin military vehicles. Our little GMC M215 dump truck is getting a new freind, a 1953 GMC XM221 tractor. After finding one two years ago this truck has been in the back of my mind since I first saw it, finalized the deal today.

The M221 tractor uses the same short wheel base as the M215 dumper. This one is in running condition, very complete and even has its original paint. Will need complete restoration, but should be easier than some of the other vehicles I have completed.

Will post pictures next week after the recovery, now to find a M135!

Thanks, Karl

Attachments

Last edited:

M215

Hoping to drag it home next week, need to finish putting the wheels back under the 5 ton first, plan is to flat tow it back. The XM221 is approx 75-100 miles away near Harrisonburg VA.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet! The 221 is a tough truck to find in good shape. I brought home a totally rusted and worn out 221 used by both a school and then a power line contractor. The frame was the only part worth keeping and even it has the front wacked off.

nattieleather

That's a real collectors item there. They were rare to start with and finding one with all the 5th wheel etc is even more rare! Please keep us posted with picks and your restoration. I look forward to seeing it...and congrats on growing the herd.... :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Awesome!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto is that one still in the scrapyard north of Atlanta?

Errrrrrr........... I don't know. Doubtful. The last time I was there (when Brandon recovered his M123), they were in the process of cleaning it out and scrapping everything.

butch atkins

Hey Yall,DAYUM ! :-D,good find,I know it will be jam up when your done,your M215 is really nice,have a NOS,NIB radiator caps #7376626,NOS NIB fuel pump rebuild kits,EMd you a while back about the extra parts you had for the hydraulic pump and related parts ,i still have the PTO unit w acccesory drive for the M 215,rad caps are awesome and brand new looking,for that perfect restoration look,good luck to all on your projects

butch atkins

OH and i forgot to mention the NOS NIB complete oil filter units with the decals factory fresh look, just the thing for the perfect restoration look,PM if interested

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks