• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M220 continuing to run after shut down

45MB

My M220 continues (dieseling) to run after I have shut it down. I have checked the timing. I have run stuff down the intake to clean out the carbon deposits. I am not sure what else I should to eliminate this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Sent from my Z932L using Tapatalk

USMC 00-08

What RPM are you idling at? Sounds weird but my truck did that when it was idling too fast and I set the timing at the faster speed.

Try slowing it down and then set the timing. The TM says idle is supposed to be 375 rpm.

45MB

OK I will try that I have it set at about 500 or 600 rpm. I will try to slow it down some more but I have had trouble keeping it running at slower idle speed.

Tom

45MB

I have not adjusted the valves yet as I can't get the valve cover off due a line near the back end of the cover that I can't get loose to remove to allow enough clearance for the cover to come off. Although I think the value are correct as the engine had been rebuilt and never ran much it sat for most of thirty years because they could make it run.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not adjusted the valves yet as I can't get the valve cover off due a line near the back end of the cover that I can't get loose to remove to allow enough clearance for the cover to come off. Although I think the value are correct as the engine had been rebuilt and never ran much it sat for most of thirty years because they could make it run.

I bet it's that bypass water line running along the carb side. They're NOT supposed to be in the way but it's tight in there. It's a bit of a roll and a twist to get it out usually.

I've played with the timing through a wide range on the distributor so if a lower RPM doesn't work, play with the timing again.

Have you had a chance to run the engine long enough to get it hot??? Are you feeding it fresh fuel?? Is there an exhaust system on it?

Not many M220's around so really looking forward to pictures and seeing how you solve this.

45MB

Yes I have run it to get the engine good and hot. In fact I have put about 150 mules on it. It doesn't seem to matter fuel wise fresh, old or somewhere in the middle it still dies it.

Your right about it being tight with line. Its so tight I need to remove but have not been able get loose yet to remove it and the valve cover. I tried everything to get it out without removing the line with no luck.

45MB

OK gent I had time today to adjust the idle speed down. At this point it seems to have solved the problem. I want run some more, reset the timing and carb before I declare victory. Also after getting out of the barn I took a couple fresh pictures.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M220 Shopvan

That's real nice and should be featured in our http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?58040-The-unofficial-g749-picture-thread

When the points start to get worn out and the plugs start getting fouled I noticed my M135 wanting to stall at the lower RPM. Real glad the adjustment got you going. We're trying to save pictures to the site so I hope you don't mind if I get that that beautiful truck front and center.

M220.jpgM220 L.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M220 Hard Top

Yes we do. If fact my wife and lived in it four month in 2014 while we were building our house.

You're holding out on us! That story should be in a book for all the wives to read.....Titled, "How I enjoyed living in an army truck with my husband for 4 months". Still, that had to be tough, it's a tight space for two. Awards should be given out for girls like yours.

I'm curious about the hard-top. Looking at a few other 220's from down south and most appear to have a top......although we rarely find a 211 or 135 with a hard-top.

Just wondering if they punched all the 220's out at one time or if they were built over the 5 years. Would you share your serial number either here or privately with so we can see where it fits in with Papabear's and Henderson's 220's??

Mine was delivered in 54, is serial # 120703002 but it's a M207 model so that doesn't help with the 220's.

20160626_155433.jpg

I'm surprised you don't have a fleet of trucks. This is what happened when I started sleeping with them.

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey you guys, I don't own a single gasser, but I' do have the distinction of being both old and having some memory left.

I recall that setting the points was done after adjusting the valves, but before setting the timing, idle speed and idle mixture. Further, setting the point gap was done both by setting the gap AND by measuring dwell. That was the method for determining if the distributor was serviceable or if it needed a new point cam or rubbing block.

There was another way of measuring for shaft wobble, but that required a bench tester.

In any case, thanks to all you fellas for amassing these old war horses!

Rick

45MB

I want thank everyone for the input on the engine trouble I will keep you posted as I have time to work on it. The work is going to be slow going as I am getting ready to pour a bunch of concrete.

But yes I am holding out you a little. It wasn't just my wife and I, we had our German Shepard named Larz living with us too. Here is a picture I took of him today as well as the living quarters. Yes that is queen sized bed.

The frame number of the truck is Y875. If that is helpful.

Tom

uploadfromtaptalk1492208571345.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1492208588836.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks