• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M26 Tank Recovery Vehicle.

Motorpool-Mac

I just found an M26 Tank Recovery Vehicle. It is the un-armored version and has some body damage and rusting in the sheet metal, the fifth wheel is missing and the frame is kind of crunched between the winches and the rear axles where they picked it up with a big grapple. But other than that it is all there and even has a few decent tires on it.

They are going to chop it up for scrap if I don’t get it. Is this something anyone might be interested in or know someone how would be?

Thanks!
Daniel

tamangel

would that make it an M26a1 then or were there both armored and un-armored versions of the same variant? Why an unarmored type? for use in non-combat theaters? Thats a nice 'convertible'..!

Mike

CCATLETT1984

tamangel said:
this thread was listed 3 times with the same title..how do we keep track of which one to follow?..
Mike
I merged the two threads that already had replies, and deleted the third. Welcome to the site, but FYI we frown on cross-posting the same message in multiple forums [thumbzup]

L1A1

Hello
A friend of mine had one of those "dragon wagons" and they are a BEAST of a truck! Everything is giant on them. If you have the space and capabilities to do so (or know someone who has) save that rig! They are quite rare over here in the states.

M26: Armored cab
M26A1 unarmored "soft skin" cab

Matt

Alredneck

Banned
Man there are a couple of those out here on Eglin rotting away, never knew what they were, definantly got to go get pics now!

What a find! Save them!!
I saw one of those in Beltring a few years ago, it was awesome! I loved the CHAIN (was a big chain :) ) driven rear wheels. A few french dudes drove it all the way from France to Beltring / UK with a huge trailer (with more mvs in it). Now thats a daring road trip with a vehicle like that.
Maybe I can dig a few pictures out.

Elwenil

Cool pics, thanks for posting! How in the world do you get in and out of that thing? The chain drive is certainly very odd and I wonder what the reason for choosing that type of drivetrain? Also, that's a pretty odd place to find a Georgia license plate, lol.