• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M274 General Question

MinerJohn

I've taken a keen interest in the M274. From all the reading and lurking I've done, it seems apparent that buying one already complete is the way to go, but I'm curious if I decide to start with a "project" mule, what part headaches am I most likely to run into? ie...toughest parts to find etc..

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
MickD and emmado22 are both correct.

In past years, items like fuel tanks (easily damaged in offroading activities) and bed rails (damaged during normal cargo loading and unloading) were hard to find, but Bill Watson is reproducing them now (I will be replacing my fuel tank, probably this year).

The stuff NickD listed is hard to come by.

Tires and tubes are relatively expensive for their size-I can buy new Deuce 9:00 x 20 tires for what the Mule 7.50 x 10's cost.

Try to buy a mule with a decent deck, repairing them is less than fun.

The money that you spend upfront in buying a better mule will definitely pay off in the long run.

Here are some pictures of us playing with Mules at the Ga Rally.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Good Advise

MickD and emmado22 are both correct.

In past years, items like fuel tanks (easily damaged in offroading activities) and bed rails (damaged during normal cargo loading and unloading) were hard to find, but Bill Watson is reproducing them now (I will be replacing my fuel tank, probably this year).
The stuff NickD listed is hard to come by.
Tires and tubes are relatively expensive for their size-I can buy new Deuce 9:00 x 20 tires for what the Mule 7.50 x 10's cost.
Try to buy a mule with a decent deck, repairing them is less than fun.
The money that you spend upfront in buying a better mule will definitely pay off in the long run.
Here are some pictures of us playing with Mules at the Ga Rally.
Really good advice above. Start out as complete/functional as funds will allow.

Doc and Marvin both bought rebuilt mule engines from Bill Watson and he told them he is sorta phasing back due to age.aua

gunboy1656

Get a better version of one. When we bought ours it was parts complete but we had to redo the mechanicals on it.

So far 4 tie rods, all needle bearings, soon the steering box will be getting replaced. Even a pretty decent one is costing a fortune.

I watched a correct engine cover go for 650 on epay a couple months ago.

135gmc

The decks are magnesium, so keep your torch away from it.... Otherwise, spend the cash for a decent mule instead of a project. Anything in the front or rear is consumable - the engine guard gets bent up real often, and the foot basket also gets a beating (I filled in the dents with a welder, and ground everything nice and round again). I replaced the side rails with 3/4" pipe instead of 1" OD tubing - pipe is 1/16" larger, but it can take more of a beating. Anything unique to the mule will get harder and harder to track down as time goes on. When you get a mule, cut a piece of plywood to cover the deck. You know you're going to haul stuff, but a piece of plywood saves the deck.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics clinto--we use our mules for work and play, in terrain that very much resembles what you have displayed here--

Also, 135GMC, very good advice about the plywood to protect the deck. People post this over and over, but if someone newly interested in mules logs on, they may not have seen the earlier posts.

MinerJohn, good luck in finding your mule! You will get hours of pleasure out of owning one!

Mule Deck Protection

MinerJohn,
As an option to the plywood, get yourself a thick rubber cowmat. I think you may be able to get one at Tractor Supply. I use mine to do firewood and heavy projects around the house, and I have never ever put a scratch on the deck. You can even trim the rubber to fit the exact contour of the deck, works really well. Keeps the motor somewhat quiet also. Good luck in finding your mule.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks