• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M275A2 in the Driveway Today

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the answer to my question in post 20. Now I have better questions!

In my hard copy of (thanks to member actionfigurebob for this valuable gift) TM 9-2320-361010 under the tabulated data on page 1-15, the Multifuel M275A2 is rated for a 17,000 lb payload cross-country, with 7,000 lb on the 5th wheel.

Questions:

According to my public education, the cross country tongue weight is greater than 33% of the payload. Is there any reason for that? I thought the standard was 25%???

On page 2-136 of the TM, it is confirmed the highway payload rating of the M275A2 doubles to 36,000 lb. Does that mean the acceptable tongue weight is then 12,000 lb??? I think not, so what is the final word?

Thanks guys for learning me on this,

Rick

tm america

Super nice truck..I need one ..that fifth wheel is def to far back.it should be just in front of the center of the tandums..that way it puts some of the weight on the front tires..It's funny how a m35a2 is only rated to pull 6000lbs and the same engine and brakes can pull 36000lbs?I've pulled trailers around 20000lbs with my m35a2c with no problems ..Does anyone know the empty weight of a m275? I really want to build one for picking up deuces from the auction and hauling my deuce to haspin...I think it would be the only safe way to do it without a cdl..

Great looking truck, I have wanted one for about 12 years, never have been able to find one close by, and since there wasn't to many made that doesn't help either. Hopefully some day I can get my hands on one. [thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super nice truck..I need one ..that fifth wheel is def to far back.it should be just in front of the center of the tandums..that way it puts some of the weight on the front tires..It's funny how a m35a2 is only rated to pull 6000lbs and the same engine and brakes can pull 36000lbs?I've pulled trailers around 20000lbs with my m35a2c with no problems ..Does anyone know the empty weight of a m275? I really want to build one for picking up deuces from the auction and hauling my deuce to haspin...I think it would be the only safe way to do it without a cdl..

The center of the kingpin is forward of the center of the rear bogie by about 4" IIRC. I sold mine a few years back. I've towed 25,000# before and its slow getting started, that's for sure. Weight?? 12,560 w/w. They are cool little trucks and fit great in parking spots at the mall. Downside is you have to take a trailer for everything more than a bag of peanuts. I probably have over a hundred pics of the 275s in my ext hard drive.

tm america

Funny after seeing that fifth wheel that far back ..i was driving around today and seen a semi with his fifth wheel so far back it was almost dirrectly over the rear tandum? It was a day cab truck ...I thought it was really wierd but i guess depending on the weight of your engine in the truck you need to work it out so it steers nice and handles right..Maybe since a deuce is so close to being overloaded on the front they decided to move it back more?Either way i'm jealous and i want one;)