• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3 medium tank

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya think that the normal person would care to watch this today?? IF it happened in our era? Back then, EVERYONE was involved, not just the warriors in the trenches, sailors and marines on ship and the airmen flying. It was a country wide effort. Today? Most don't even think of those who are standing in harms way, close and far away, or their families that are sacrificing SO much, let alone donate time and money to "gift" their armed services. We here on S.S. are prejudice! MANY upon the site have been there, done that, got the DD 214 to prove it. Those that haven't are PROUD of those that did! S.S. isn't "normal" , and for that, I am grateful. Enough :soapbox::rant:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya think that the normal person would care to watch this today?? IF it happened in our era? Back then, EVERYONE was involved, not just the warriors in the trenches, sailors and marines on ship and the airmen flying. It was a country wide effort. Today? Most don't even think of those who are standing in harms way, close and far away, or their families that are sacrificing SO much, let alone donate time and money to "gift" their armed services. We here on S.S. are prejudice! MANY upon the site have been there, done that, got the DD 214 to prove it. Those that haven't are PROUD of those that did! S.S. isn't "normal" , and for that, I am grateful. Enough :soapbox::rant:
Well said

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The machinery and tooling likely does not exist. Tooling and machinery for many weapons systems were put into long term storage during and after the war, but as time progressed and the old weapons became even more obsolete the government purged the items in storage. As the tooling was cleaned out over time, eventually some of the storage sites were also sold off. I'd wager the tooling and machines that enabled allied victory in WWII has long since been sold off for scrap.

Some of it may still exist long forgotten in the back corner of storage site and factories, but those are the exception. Of course, I love hearing the anecdotes about long forgotten tools of war that are discovered in a warehouse or factory. A friend told me about the basements under the GM Hydramatic plant in Ypsilanti, MI. It was formerly the Ford B-24 Liberator bomber plant, the factory changed hands several times after the war, and many different things were produced after the war including M16A1's, C-119 aircraft, civilian autos, etc. up until it closed just a couple of years ago. Allegedly, there were thousands of square feet under the main plant where tooling and parts had been squirreled away for decades. He explored many different areas during his 25 years at Hydramatic. A lot of it was flooded, but areas that weren't had all kinds of neat stuff piled up including aircraft parts and WWII era tools and dies. Who knows what else. The site is currently undergoing environmental remediation and demolition. Thankfully part of the original plant will likely be saved for posterity, but the site was vast and will mostly be leveled.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MVPA was given thousands of WWII & 50s era, blueprints by the military some years ago they are still trying to sort them. You can by copies of what they do have cataloged.

Last edited:

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'd be surprised what comes out of old factory storage, there were three brand new sets of sherman track pads created and fitted to existing tracks. Turns out the tooling had been sitting in a store room somewhere in the complex. The Sherman at the Allen County Historical Society Museum in Lima, Ohio is on one set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks