• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3 or M4 Scare Cannon/Bird Banger

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I acquired a bird banger today. I believe it is propane powered. The company that made it is Reed-Joseph and is still in business. Remnants of the sticker are still there. I'll be calling Monday for a regulator or to find the operating psi. Here are the manufacturer's operating instructions.
http://reedjoseph.com/pdf/LP_Gas_Cannon_M4.pdf

Insure if it is a M3 or M4 unit. Need to take apart and see if it has flint or piezo-electric ignition.
http://www.reedjoseph.com/lp_gas_cannons.htm

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be at Fleet Farm at 0800 when they open in the morning. Thank you! Did they run off the gas grill tanks? I wonder if they could run off the camping size bottles without a regulator? Easier to handle around the camp site.

bmwsyc

I used a normal 20 lb tank. I would think you would need a regulator of some sort, but never tried otherwise. The pressure determines how frequent the cannon fires, but there is a rubber "balloon" or diaphragm that fills up with the propane, so I would be a little concerned about bursting. You might be possible to use the control on the side of the unit as the regulator, but timing would change as propane is used and the smaller tank chills.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some reading and I believe you are correct. I'm going to get the adjustable regulator you suggested. My hope was that I could have a self contained unit without the hose and 20lb tank trailing.

3dAngus

So what happens if you stick a tennis ball down the throat of that thing.
Does it shoot? Or does it blow up? That would be interesting...
I like it! And that paint job is fantastic. Love that OD green!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately I have to say it will probably open it up at the seams. Construction is very light. However, I can see a heavy piece of pipe in the corner of the shop...

bmwsyc

image.jpg

Here is another photo, we plumbed 4 together for simulators for airsoft and paintball. Remotely controlled, after a while the different timing of the different units led to random sounding detonations. Red light was for warning players or spectators to not walk in front of the cannons.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat picture. thanks. The front cup was to hold a container that contains calcium carbonate or something. There was a drip pot that mounted on top. a few drops produced some gas that filled the chamber, then Boom! This does not have that though.

robertsears1

I used to use those (for their intended purpose) at my last two duty stations while sitting SOF (supervisor of flying) in the tower. It seems like there was some kind of program on the computer that controlled them but that memory is now hazy. I've been a near dead now for 12 years and counting. We used to make fun of people like me now clogging up the checkout lanes at the BX!

Robert

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This one is pre-computer controlled. It was in a barn for 20 years before this weekend. The guy got it from another barn where he found it. I'm guessing 70s vintage???

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: I could not get it to cycle. Turns out a mud wasp made a home. It now cycles somewhat on shop air. I have the regulator BMWSYC suggested. We'll need to dig deeper to find out if it is a M3 or M4. Expect some banging to happen soon.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: I could not get it to cycle. Turns out a mud wasp made a home. It now cycles somewhat on shop air. I have the regulator BMWSYC suggested. We'll need to dig deeper to find out if it is a M3 or M4. Expect some banging to happen soon.
Cool Find, we are all awaiting banging, and the sooner the better :popcorn:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks