• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35, 2.5 Ton Front Springs

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
Where do I start, do I replace the whole spring pack, or cut the u-bolts and just replace the broken leafs? (of course, I have to wait tilll the snow melts around here in NY) Do I just get some springs from a local junk yard off a dump truck, or do they need to come from another Deuce? Thanks.
I'm with G-Force on this one. Find a local spring or suspension shop and have springs made. It's not the cheapest alternative, but it is the safest. It's a pretty good bet that if one is broken, others could be not far behind. At the very least, check them all out, replace any leaves that look dodgy.

Additionally, it's also a good idea that if you're doing one side, the other side should be done to match. I had the right side rear main spring break on our Scout a few years ago, while driving. It was unpleasant to say the least. We got a local spring shop to custom build me a full replacement spring pack to OEM specs, cost about $120 or so. I didn't do the other side, and there was a noticeable difference between the new springs and the 30 year old ones.

rustystud

Get the local shop to build you a whole new set, left and right. I wouldn't trust any springs in a pack that had multiple leafs broken, and you don't want to go down the road leaning towards the older weaker spring.

tashaak

Anyone know about leaf spring shackle bushings on a M925A1. My springs clunk when the truck is torqued or twisted on a hill. Is this a normal sound. Is there a rubber bushing where the leaf bolts to the shackle? Mine are just floating inside the shackle is this normal or is something worn out. I don't want to snap a shackle bolt unless of course this is the normal mount. I would think there would be some kind of rubber bushing. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please discuss you issue in the 5 ton forums, not here.