• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 A2 rear axle alignment.

uriss

Just got back from an alignment shop. Mechanic showed me where the middle axle is seriously out of line. Encountered this before on my big truck. It was fixable. Mechanic states he doesn't see how to align the rear axles. Can anyone help with this problem please? I cannot believe this isn't fixable. Thanks Uriss

m715

If you cant see anything broken like springs or dog bones, find a large flat parking lot and drive in a full circle in one direction then the other.

Welder1

Which direction out of alignment are you referring to? Center to center alignment is fixed by the dog bones and their mount locations. The side alignment floats some but the spring pads holds them. So what did the alignment shop say exactly?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
These axles have some side to side movement underload. Unfortunately the front tandem axle takes the load bearing first why the tires on the front tandem blow more than the rear axle tires. You see the front tandem flex especially on tight turns when the one tire tucks under. If you have bad torque rod ends you can actually watch the rubber pop back when it gets the weight off from the turn.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the spring pack pockets you will see where the one inch or so of sideways movement comes from. If the axles shift more than that and do not realign on hard ground going straight (I second the good advice from above)
you may want to check dog bones (torque rods), yes, but also the spring seats (trunnion). The bushing or bearing (old, not upgraded) is in there not unlike in the axle hubs, with two axle nuts and lock tab washer. These can come loose or the bearing is toast because people forget to service them.

uriss

Deuce axle alignment

Thanks for your responses. The center axle as you sight down the outside of the truck looking from the rear. Passenger side you can see a very slight turn on the middle axle towards the right. Look at it from the drivers side rear and there too its a very slight turn to the right. Looking straight on from the front and the center axle appears to be an inch more toward the passenger side. I had hoped that this vehicle at 36,000 miles would be fairly together. But I will start looking at the bushings etc. Guess stuff gets OLD from sitting, sorta like me!

uriss

The alignment shop was at a total loss on how to fix it saying there were no adjustments. But thank you for your advice. This is what I needed to know. thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks