• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 A2 Tankers

RobDuece

Hello I have been reworking a Tanker for the fire department I am on. I was wondering if there are others out there with tankers?

Just curious

AZK9

....I have not seen one in any better shape then ours. It took two years to finish ours the way you see it.
I just took a look at the photos you've got up at your profile page.
If possible... maybe post a couple of them to this thread so folks can easily see how nice your tanker looks after the conversion!

As a firefighter myself, I have to say... you guys really did a beautiful job turning that MV into a firefighting apparatus! [thumbzup]

AZK9

Thanks to AZK9 for the gentle encouragement not to be a lazy bum.

Also, he's right...that's a very well converted truck. Excellent job.
Ha ha! Looks like the two of us were thinking and typing similar thoughts at about the same time! :-D

Well... one thing is certain: RobDeuce and his dept turned out an awesome truck!!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RobDuece, what is the tank capacity?
I guess there are less and less members even in the VFDs that can drive these trucks properly...
Our department does not consider re-built apparatus as being new, so we really have no way of using a surplus truck.

DavidWymore

Something to do with NFPA, all surplus are no longer considered safe for department use, as well as other trucks over a certain age (ten years I think). It's been a while since our chief told us about it. That's when we turned in our last couple of surplus trucks.
Forgot you were FD. So, keep eyes open for FD auctions, eh?

Jeepsinker

Yeah. Next year they start giving titles and transferring full ownership of the vehicles to the departments after three years of possession. No longer will they have to go back to forestry.

Akicita

I know of two tanker Deuces that are used by FDs here in Eastern Pennsylvania.

I used to see one on my way to work in suburban Philadelphia. It was nicely painted all white but I have no idea what they used it for in a suburban community.

The other one was in N.E. Penna. in a small, rural community surrounded by mountains and woods. I happened to speak to the fire chief when they started to look for one several years ago. Their regular fire truck had gotten stuck in the snow in the woods, and a Deuce that can go almost everywhere seemed a good though small alternative to the big truck that didn't get traction where they needed it to go. I don't know what they have now but heard they got a 5-ton tanker instead of a Deuce.

I remember there was an ex-Army guy who knew how to drive them. I also remember they had two bolt-on tanks in the parking lot last time I was there. Instead of one large tank, they mounted two in a row, I guess to decrease sloshing while the truck was in motion.

Ken Kublo in Brackney, PA used to have one for sale with a single, large tank, maybe he still does.

rustystud

Something to do with NFPA, all surplus are no longer considered safe for department use, as well as other trucks over a certain age (ten years I think). It's been a while since our chief told us about it. That's when we turned in our last couple of surplus trucks.
Now that is interesting. No wonder in Eastern Washington last year they sold a ton of deuce fire trucks.

RobDuece

Thanks every one...The truck to our State Fire Marshall is classified as a Tanker/Tender not anything to do with an engine. This makes it fall into a different class of water movement only. This truck has had body work, Paint work, re wired to be a 12 volt truck, and addition of a console to house all radios, siren, switches, and electrical connections. This truck is all LED accept for 2 head lights, 2 front turn signals, and 2 dash bulbs. This truck got featured on a fire magazines website as mil conversion. We bought this truck from a surplus re seller. It also has the air steering assist, and still has the mil PTO pump.

The second truck we do have on loan from the WV forestry. This is our Brush truck. It has 500 gallons of water a portable pump, 2 blowers, a chain saw, hand tools, and hose reel with 100 feet on it and 250 of forestry hose. This truck has a piggy back 12 volt system to support the radio,siren, and emergency lights that are on the truck. I do not have a picture of the completed truck on here yet.