• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35-a3 can you make it a true 6 wheel drive?

ken326@yahoo.com

True 6 wheel drive?
can you lock the rears up on an a3. I noticed only 2 wheels spin when you getinto anything a little slippery. Once you flip the lever and engage the front wheels it goes but i was thinking how good it would be if it was a true 6 wheel drive. Is this possible?

rwbrown72

If you weld it, driving on the street is going to be hard on parts. If off road only then weld away! What kind of driving are you planning on doing? Deep mud? Rock crawling in a deuce? Sand? All have pros and cons for different setups. Need more info and just for fun, pics of the ride!

saddamsnightmare

March 8th, 2010.

Two words, my sons, for true off road capability "MONEY" "UNIMOG". Even an M35A2 can be made off road capable with the right lockers applied to the axles, but welding the spiders would seem to be a terminal method...expensive to reverse and God help the man who runs it on dry hard pavement. There's no inadvertent with that one, because you can't unlock the weld, only break them.
Get a Unimog U1300L, it'll carry almost as much as a deuce, and go everywhere a deuce can't. Just a respectful thought for your consideration, and my .02 worth, as I've driven both an M35A2 and a S404.114....

(Or get a MB Zetros![thumbzup])

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:smile:

mudguppy

there are plenty of options to consider. don't forget to add selectable hubs ($500) and air-lockers ($900) to the list. you could:
  1. ultra lock both rears - $1k
  2. ultra lock rears + set of hubs for rears - $1900
  3. ultra lock 1 rear and front w/ hubs - $1500
  4. ultra lock all + front hubs - $2k (true 6x6)
  5. ultra lock all - $1500 (true 6x6, i haven't seen the need for hubs w/ front locker)
  6. ARB both rears - $1800
  7. ARB 1 rear and front - $1800
  8. ARB all - $2400
  9. ARB all + 1 set of hubs on a rear + hubs on front - $3800 (selectable from 6x3 to 6x6, and down to 6x1 on-road)
  10. etc...
configurations are quite extensive. :mrgreen:

ccequipment

Ken, i just installed a set of ARB air lockers on a crew cab I built. The locker install is not that hard, its all the labor getting the third members out. The easiest way is to pull the bed off the truck, and you will have to drop the front axel down, and I remove it for the best job. Of course you may need some brake or hub work while in there. The ARB's are nice, they can be locked in or out, but they do have alot of parts that can fail, like o-rings, valves, air lines, etc. Detriots are nice because they have no external parts to fail. But they proably will wear you tires out a little more. ARB's in all 3 axels will run you about $7,000 installed, and Detriots in all three will run about $4750, just some #'s for you. There is some extra time involed with the CTIS system when removing wheels etc. That does not include hub seals etc.. FYI I do have cab seal kits avaliable

Last edited: