• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Almost Finished

Armada

Here are a some shots of my M35 with the paint finally finished and the markings applied. I used stencils for the markings and put the original unit markings back on. I have a couple little things I need to do yet like add the spotlights, put the pioneer tool rack back on, and get the vic-1 installed. I have also added a few little things to it since these pics were taken. The first couple pics is of when I first got it from Selfridge almost 4 years ago. It is now actually an M35A2C W/W as I added a drop side bed and a winch. A wistler turbo too. Enjoy.

Attachments

ida34

That is a white red light. I have seen Paul's work first hand and he really takes his time to get things looking good. I have not seen the deuce after the finish paint but his award winning cucv is tops.

Barrman

Looks great! I like the place you put the dome light. I have been holding mine in different spots to see where I want to put it. I like the way yours came out.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Here's another convenient place to mount one of those lights in a deuce. They fit perfectly between the cab soft top bows, hanging from some P-loops. A ground wire should be used in this configuration, to connect the body of the lamp housing to a good ground on the vehicle.

I've seen those lights with either red or blue filters for the blackout lamp. The one in my picture has a blue filter.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job. Looks better than new. I also like the cab light idea. I just have to find me one of those lights.

Barrman

That would work in my M715 too. Guess I need to find another now.

There is just no way to gauge how much we all learn from someone elses project and idea.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I can't take credit for being the first to notice that the tank dome lights fit between deuce cab bows perfectly! I just happened to have a picture handy from one of my old deuces that now lives with somebody else.

One nice thing about your location on the dash is that you still have a light if you remove the top and bows, and there are no wires to deal with when removing bows. Plus, those bows aren't present on trucks with hard cab tops.

I'm thinking of using one or two of those detachable Grimes aircraft cabin lights in my HMMWV if I ever get around to building a custom cab hard top for it.

Aha, I just noticed the gauges (boost and EGT?) in a wall outlet box clamped on top of the steering column. That's a neat approach!

Hmm, I don't think I've seen those extra angled (?) front shackles on other trucks before. What's their story?

Armada

Wow, thanks for all of the great comments! It's been a lot of fun restoring it (well most of the time). I've driven it quite a bit since I bought it, and it has only stranded me once. It blew a freeze plug on the side of the block. It's been a good truck, and it is a nice feeling ADR, to have it completed and use it in parades. Another thing I want to do yet is to mount my tow bar on the front bumper.
The light on the dash works great and I have an extra one that I'll now mount on my 715 (thanks for the idea Barrman). I also mounted a 'grab bar' over the glove box. It covers the 2 holes you see in the picture.
nf6x, it has a boost and egt gauges mounted on the column. And those "extra angled (?) front shackles " on the bumper are tow hooks from an older MV. I mounted them sideways and use them for hanging the winch chain, plus it gives me a place to wrap a tow strap or rope or cable. I mounted a front pintle to help in manuvering my M105 into tight places. It is nearly impossible to see the trailer when hooked to the rear and the cargo cover is on.
Greg, the paint is Gillespie 24087.
maddawg, yeah that was some funky paint. Some combo of merc camo with a little gumby green thrown in. Glad to finally have it covered.
I still don't know when the dropsides were introduced. Like I said, it's a '71, but I took the box off of a '74.

67Beast

looking nice Paul, If it is half as clean as your cucv it will be amazing looking. Are you still planning on driving it to Clare? That way I can drool over it in person, instead of on top my keyboard.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My M35A2C is a 1969 Kaiser-Jeep, but it could have experienced a bit of the old mix 'n' match back in military service. The dash plate specifies a non-winch truck and it has no winch, yet the cab has the hole, safety latch and lever position marking plate for a winch control handle. The dash plate looks like it might have come from replacement stock, because the contract number is (sloppily) stamped instead of being screened on with the rest of the original photolithography. So, my truck might indicate that the M35A2C existed at least as far back as 1969, or it could have been cobbled together from spare parts later than that. I got this truck from GL, so it might be a chimera, but it was made that way in military service.

Pictures live at the following link, but I gotta warn you, it ain't pretty like Armada's truck! :wink:

http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck6/truck6.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks