• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Alternative Transmissions?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
At the end of the day I don't understand the unwillingness to at least ask and answer some of these questions about alternatives. Safer turf I guess.
It isn't the unwillingness, it's the knowledge of how darned difficult it is. That's why we all say "buy Tom's OD, get bigger tires and turn your fuel up". For the A3 guys, they just don't have a lot of options due to their tranny.

Moving the transfer back is more than just the riveted crossmembers. It's now dealing with the relocated parking brake cable and the problems that creates. Move it far enough and the cable isn't long enough and now you're trying to source a cable with specific ends and length in the civvy world or have one made. Will it hit the rear cab mount? And once you've moved the transfer back, the shifter handle mount has to be built from scratch to accommodate it. Longer air hose for front axle engagement, speedo cable (I assume it would work, but you never know until you put it all together).

Last edited:

hornetfan

It isn't the unwillingness, it's the knowledge of how darned difficult it is. That's why we all say "buy Tom's OD, get bigger tires and turn your fuel up". For the A3 guys, they just don't have a lot of options due to their tranny.

Moving the transfer back it move than just the riveted crossmembers. It's now dealing with the relocated parking brake cable and the problems that creates. Move it far enough and the cable isn't long enough and now you're trying to source a cable with specific ends and length in the civvy world or have one made. Will it hit the rear cab mount? And once you've moved the transfer back, the shifter handle mount has to be built from scratch to accommodate it. Longer air hose for front axle engagement, speedo cable (I assume it would work, but you never know until you put it all together).
I never said it wouldn't be a fair bit of work. Putting a 6.5L GM diesel in my Land Rover in place of a 2.5L engine and changing the tiny Land Rover gearbox with an NV-4500 was a fair amount of work -- including many of the same issues you mention. But the result was a 6000 lb truck with enough power to comfortably cruise at 75 on Interstate and easily pass RVs while on the 2-lane blacktop I prefer all while pulling 7-8000 lb trailer. And get 22 mpg hwy regularly.

It was well worth it for me.

As for the specifics of an alternate tranny in a deuce.

Parking brake cable - a replacement Morse cable built custom is literally off-the-shelf with delivery maybe a week at most. As cheap as a replacement from a scrapped M35A2? No but you're replacing the tranny and another $40-$80 is a no-brainer for me. They don't generally wear out.

Transfer shifter seems pretty simple - extend it with a TIGed on piece in the center. PITA fab work? Maybe but again, why are we seeking an alternate tranny?

Speedo cable seems even more simple FOR ME. I really don't like not being able to see the gauges at night so the speedo is being replaced with one with good backlight. That pretty much means electronic (and I much prefer mechanical everything). Identify proper sensor, install it and hook it.

A replacement air hose for front axle engagement -- is that really an issue?

Maybe it's just me but these seem trivial problems. But I have built one truck from scratch and plan to do another. Talking myself into doing the first one took a couple of years because it DID seem so daunting a task!

cheers

hornetfan

The OD kit for the Spicer 3053A also seems to be a really good choice and gives better gear splits than the stock Spicer. I've never seen the kit but quality of materials and manufacture sure appear to be top notch and it is carefully thought out. You also end up with a newly rebuilt transmission into the bargain for your newly refurbished M35A2. Much less trouble than changing gearboxes unless you are also contemplating changing engines which few on SS appear to be interested in doing. Don't blame them -- nothing wrong with the multifuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks