• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Broke Down in the Jungle

Junglemist

Hello,

I am in Belize with my 1966 M35A2 and I have a problem. The rubber bushing came off the stud on the left torque rod under the center of the spring. My front rear axle then shifted forward. The truck is in the road in a Mayan village. If I attempt to move the truck I am afraid the left spring is going to be pulled loose from the axle. Does anyone know of a temporary fix to be able to drive the truck about a mile. If so it can be parked to wait for replacement bushings to get here. I have owned the truck for about 8 months and am new to these vehicles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nathan

rizzo

Re: RE: M35 Broke Down in the Jungle

jeli said:
You might also beat the torque rod bock onto the stud and chain it on enough to get it off the road.
I have done this before, make sure yo bring something to move the axle to the align the bushing and torque rod. Like a good come along. or use another vehicle. and some dish soap to lube the bushing. they are hard to get back on dry. you might have to use the come along to pull the arm back on. I can't remember how we did that part. Soldier B helps too.

swark

RE: Re: RE: M35 Broke Down in the Jungle

Junglemist, I cannot help you get it off the road but I am coming down to Belize in the middle of November and I can bring parts if they are not too big and heavy. I can order them and\or rip them off my deuce to get you going. I just bought a piece of land in Placencia. I was wondering if I should bring my Deuce down one day, I have many questions for you if i do. Anyway I don't need mine til spring because I use it to put my boat in and out of the water and it is out for the winter, also to get fire wood which is all done so I can remove bits if needed.
Man, somebody else in Belize with a Deuce, life is good!

Steve.

Junglemist

Thanks for the advice. The rubber was still in the rod but was totally off the stud. I used a jack to relieve tension on the spring and then winched the axle back and rotated it to line up with the stud. I put the torque rod back on the stud and held it with a clamp to move the truck. Since I live in Belize and most of the bushings are cracked and look old and the roads down here are pretty rough, I will probably replace them. Thanks again.

Nathan

spicergear

For anyone else, if it happens the other way where it leaves the rubber on the stud you can take a sharp chisel and make a couple of passes across the piece left in the dogbone. Then you'll be able to pop that outer ring out of the dogbone and give yourself some clearance to more easily get it back over the bushing on the stud. A ratchet strap voer to the leaf pack will work if it's an upper link, and as pictured above, that's a darn good temporary fix as well.