• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 capabilities in sand dunes?

10mm fan

I go to Dumont Dunes or Glamis once a year to ride dirt bikes. While there I usually air down my F150 and cruise around the sand dunes with little to no problems.

I am NOT buying a deuce to cruise sand dunes, but just like I do in my F150 it would be fun to do it on the annual trip.

I am sure tires play a BIG role. Anyone here have experience in sand dunes? Maybe its a bad idea and just stay out of the sand?

GoHot229

All I picture is the Jeep in Rat Patrol cresting the dune and landing, sorry to say, I dont think the Deuce will do that. lol. Serriously, I think the front axle will want to push instead of turn and likely want to sink in the sand if its loose. What you could however is run duals on the front axle as well, and I imagine you would do fine Kaiser M 109 had these pics. in another thread 'duals on front' in search

Attachments

Last edited:

DeuceNewb

I've taken my 109 to some sand dunes. If you're just crusing sand it's fine, but a non turbo doesn't have the power to make it up some steep dunes.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRytJ9VHDE&feature=channel_page[/media]
and look at my other videos there are about 4-5 more

DeuceNewb

I just wanted to ad that when in sand with the front axle engaged it feels like you have power steering and the steering effort is much much less. If you are in ruts however, you have to turn the wheel all the way for it to grab and move over. I do lots of sand driving on the beach here in nc and I run 35psi with no problems ever, even on soft super windy days where my tracks 10 feet behind me were already erased by the wind.
and the dune in my video is a lot taller and steeper than it looks

bassetdeuce

When I moved down here to Florida, I found that sand can vary from soft and sugary, to hard and bumpy after a recent rain and some off road vehicle traffic. That was what I had in mind.

tiger422

Not alot of fun in sugsr sand, big tires would help alot add weight to rear of truck also helps rear tires will not bag at 10-15 psi with out weight in rear. The rear of truck without weight spins on top will not push front without front locked in.

1stDeuce

Just like in your F150, you'll have to air down. And that's a LOT of tires to air down... (and up!!) Read the dash info, it tells you what to air down to for sand/mud/snow. I believe the sand pressure is 15psi. (I run the rears lower because there's more of them...) That's low enough you won't want to carve any tight turns at high speed, but high enough you shouldn't have any issues with rings or bead.

As for climbing dunes, you'll find that if you just pick a gear at the bottom that has enough power to climb and stand on it, you'll either make it or you won't. Getting a big run at it and trying to mash down through the gears on the way up just doesn't work any better, IME.

At 15-20 psi front and 8-10psi rear, my deuce doesn't even have any issues with bucking or whatever you want to call it... But it won't win any races like that. (Not even foot races!)

Have fun!!!
C

bassetdeuce

Josh

my plan B when im out in the dunes is 2 10ft long steel ramps i use for putting vehicals in the pack, dig out the rear end, and slide thoose under that back tires, and hope it bites, have a couple 2ft ones i made for the front tires also. but going out there with a few friends with F350's and what not does help tho.

as for playing in the sand, i droped the front to 15lbs, and the outside rears i droped to 15lbs, but i didnt have an airchuck to hit the inside tires, i left those at 50lbs, and i only had trouble on some long steep hills.