• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Civy trailer hitch

Ford Mechanic

I saw that some of yall had 2in recivers mounted on the back of your M35's. My question is did you use one from a passenger truck or did you make it yourself? I've been measuring frames here at work and found that of all things a Ranger trailer hitch will fit perfect but it's not rated at but 6000 lbs with a dist. hitch. A 97-03 F150 hitch looks like I could tweak the supports in a little and it would fit but I still wanted something stronger and a F250/350 is way too wide. I don't really have much in mind to tow with it but would like to be able to possibly pull my camper/horse trailer if the need arises.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there should be about 50 threads on this.

A search for "curt" should yield results.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Search "14082" here on the site.

quickfarms

M35 civiy trailer hitch

You need a hitch designed for a truck with a standard 34" frame. Curt makes them in both 2" and 2 1/2" receiver sizes. The larger is rated at 18,000 lbs. you can use a short piece of 2" receiver tube to reduce the 2 1/2" to 2".

Ford Mechanic

Thanks guys I tried searching "trailer hitch" but got a bunch of unrelated threads apperently Curt is the keyword for this one. The kits from TM America look great but I don't trust my welding to hold a 10,000lbs trailer. And I really didn't want to spend $200 on a new one. Scoring one out of a junkyard for cheap off a vehicle with the corrrect frame width was what I was hoping for. I did get a couple of different vehicles to check from those threads.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I actually end up using.

Hoefler

Built this for my M36A3. Used a 4" square tube for cross member. Welded an Etrailer recvr to it. Fabricated 3/8" thick side mount plates. These plates mount to bottom of frame using existing frame holes. Using an adjustable aluminum drop ball mount with this. Aslo picked up an electrical adapter from a fellow SS member to allow the truck to plug into civi trailer.
Pete
IMG_2771.jpgIMG_2772.jpgIMG_2774.jpgIMG_2775.jpg

Hoefler

I picked one up-thought it was from a SS member. Checked through my inbox (Steel Soldiers) and dindt find who it was. I will check my work computer on Monday-may have got it off Ebay.

**** mikew - www.xm381.com **** added website info

Picture shows what it looks like-price was good too-around 200 bucks or so. Does not work with brakes, but is adaptable with a jumper wire and trailer controller.
Pete
IMG_2723.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It did not fit my M818 :( I ordered 2, hoping it would. NO mods needed for the deuce. Remove the pintle, and the bumperette bolts, slide this hitch plate in. Then, secure back with the pintle and bolts... A little wiggling was necessary, maybe due to mine being bobbed. Its nice outside this week if anyone wants some close up pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks