• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 clutch slips

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
even with the plug in the storage hole it will hold enough oil in the bellhousing to get it on the clutch.as the top of the threads for the plug are above the ring on the flywheel and pressure plate mounting bolts
I do agree with the first part only, of your statement... :)

Once, after a few hours of HWY driving on a hot summer day I ended with a recently rebuilt and well adjusted clutch slipping badly... even with the drainhole open everything got completely soaked with engine oil. Found out that the crankcase had been way overfilled, accidentally :!: and obviously that was to much for the main-seal to hold. With the oil level corrected and inspection cover removed I did continue my trip cautiously. To my surprise the clutch was back working normally after the next 50miles! Once home I did flush everything with solvent, just in case.

Now, for the second part of your post I'm not so sure what you meant...:roll:

This is how it looks like, inside the bellhousing, at the bottom ....

G.

Attachments

FUSIONWELDING

Thanks to everyone for their input on my situation im going to look into it some more before i rip it apart but since the donor truck didnt have a bed on it and seeing as how i have an extra 2000 lbs due to the crane its making me think that i just didnt notice the slippage

poppop

One thing no one has mentioned is the posibility of a previous driver slipping the clutch enough to heat the springs in the pressure plate. That removes some tension from them and they won't hold even with a good disk.

tm america

my plug is in the storage hole and the bell housing was filling up with engine oil not gear lube i took the inspection cover off .it must have dumped dang near a quart of oill out of there.i just left the cover off and havent had a problem with my clutch since .if it were gear lube it would have smelled and tasted different and would have still had a problem since the trans would leak right into the center of the clutch.i wonder if the oil fills up the trans part of the bell housing cuz it might be running down the back of the flywheel .i try to keep up with my fluids and the trans fluid looks pretty clean and and oil looks dark after a day of driving .the oil was dark coming from the bellhousing.

tm america

after it leaked down no more leak i added to the engine oil and it started leaking again .the trans maintained the same level as it was when i started the 700 mile trip.i believe the drain back hole for the rear seal is located pretty low .and when the engine gets over filled even just a quart or two it will make it pressurize the rear seal.:roll:i think i was two quarts over