• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 drive line information

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and I am looking for some friendly help. If I am posting this question in the wrong place please let me know where to post it. Last week I bought a 1993 M35a3. I'm having some transmission trouble and I am needing a parts source. Heck, I don't even know what transmission it is. I know it has a 3116 cat and an Allison automatic transmission. I looked up that combination on google and it pointed to an Allison 545 trans. Is there a way to decipher the VIN number like production cars? Any info would be appreciated.

Westech

CPL
No the Vin does not work that way.
Take a look at the TM section Im sure it will state what model and all the part numbers for the trans along with trouble shooting.
FYI... when the trans or engine ****s the bed in a A3 its going to cost A LOT more to repair/replace then then you paid for the truck.

dmetalmiki

Oops!...Now might be the time to study up in detail the T.M.s. applicable to your truck, and (also) make a serious effort to trouble shoot the suspect components in or operating the system first.
Try to find another member who has a similar truck near to you (or far for that matter) to have some help and guidance.
Though I am somewhat surprised you "jumped" into something as complicated as that truck with your (mentioned) total lack of know how.
Welcome to the site! the hobby, (craze) THE LEARNING!...the friendships and (eventually in your case hopefully) The Events to come. Good luck, keep us informed..(shakes head, and sincerely hopes the fault is only ..a..Loose nut!).

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best thing to do is read up on your equipment. The Allison transmission in the A3 deuce is a pretty common unit utilized in a lot of vehicles, especially school buses. It most likely is a mod. 1545, it may be a 55. Get under the truck and record the data plate info. They are easily repaired if you have the tools/skills. If not a shop can go through it. The CAT engine is a good powerplant, keep it serviced and adjusted/tuned. You have acquired a large, not so complicated military vehicle. Find the correct manuals, get the correct tools, the parts are available and may be expensive compared to the family station wagon, heck you own an Army truck now.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There IS an Deuce forum here, you might want to search that, there may be an answer to your question there already. And check the TM section for free downloads, there may be a TM for your A3.

Thanks for the info! I really needed to find out what equipment I have and where the Information is. I'm really not as green as I must have sounded I just don't know anything about this truck. I believe the problem I'm having with the trans is in the valve body. I drove it home on the highway after I bought it which was about 65 miles. It didn't like going into high gear. It shuddered and shook going in and then drove fine. All the temperatures were in the normal operating ranges and I was careful with RPM and varied the speed occasionally. When I took my exit off the highway and coasted to the light it died in the last few feet. It was like I was driving a standard vehicle and I forgot to push in the clutch coming to a stop. I put it in neutral and it started right up and went into gear. 1,2,3 shifted great, but again it didn't like high gear. The truck has 2500 miles on it. I figured it just needed to get moving again. So, I get home and park it for two days. Sunday afternoon I start it up and take it for a spin. I leave the driveway and it shifts 1,2,3 perfect. Turn the corner and again its 1,2,3 and I'm at about 35 MPH holding the throttle steady waiting on the high gear shift and I saw smoke come out from the hood. I pulled over and It died again. I got out, the smoke disappeared, no fluid or leaks anywhere. Started it up and now I have reverse gear when the selector is in R and N and no forward gears. And, not just no forward gears, it acts like I'm against a building trying to push it over. I think there is a stuck servo or two in the valve body. I disengaged the transfer case and went through the gear selector detents with the engine running and the drive shaft spins in reverse and neutral. when I put in drive the shaft stops. I have worked on valve bodies in later model cars so I may have a look at this one or I'd really like to buy a new or rebuilt assembly. Has anyone ever had this problem or one similar that you can remember hearing about? Thanks.

onemanarmy

check the fluid level? Was the truck sitting for a long while before you hopped in for a 65 mile drive? Can you change the fluid and filter(s) on that trans? Sounds like you are burning up internal parts by forcing it to go when it gave ample warning it didn't want to.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the truck stallng it sounds like the torque converter isn't unlocking.

these are the TM's that should cover what your looking for .

LO9-2320-386-12.pdf
LO9-2320-386-12 Lubrication order for the M35A3.

TM9-2320-386-10.pdf
TM9-2320-386-10 Operator manual for the M35A3.

TM9-2320-386-24-1-1.pdf
TM9-2320-386-24-1-1 Unit, Direct and General Support Maintenance TM for the M35A3 1 of 2.

TM9-2320-386-24-1-2.pdf
TM9-2320-386-24-1-2 Unit, Direct and General Support Maintenance TM for the M35A3 2 of 2.

TM9-2320-386-24P.pdf
TM9-2320-386-24P Unit, Direct and General Support Parts and Special Tools lists for M35A3.

Last edited:

41cl8m5

I don't own the newer m35a3 but I know someone that dose and his transmission is looked up also. He thinks it my be do to the military's use of 30sae motor oil in the transmission instead of actual automatic transmission fluid. The oil gets old starts to crud up and that's all she wrote. Cleaning it out and flushing everything is a bench job and removing the transmission is a big pita to do. My buddy's truck is still inop do to other priorities with time and funds so he is not sure but has thought about parting out the thing.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't own the newer m35a3 but I know someone that dose and his transmission is looked up also. He thinks it my be do to the military's use of 30sae motor oil in the transmission instead of actual automatic transmission fluid. The oil gets old starts to crud up and that's all she wrote. Cleaning it out and flushing everything is a bench job and removing the transmission is a big pita to do. My buddy's truck is still inop do to other priorities with time and funds so he is not sure but has thought about parting out the thing.
The military run SAE 15W40 not SAE 30 and it meets Allison specs . These transmissions are 20+ years old seals get hard and 18 year old Pvt. Pyle probably wasn't the easyist on it.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info! I really needed to find out what equipment I have and where the Information is. I'm really not as green as I must have sounded I just don't know anything about this truck. I believe the problem I'm having with the trans is in the valve body. I drove it home on the highway after I bought it which was about 65 miles. It didn't like going into high gear. It shuddered and shook going in and then drove fine. All the temperatures were in the normal operating ranges and I was careful with RPM and varied the speed occasionally. When I took my exit off the highway and coasted to the light it died in the last few feet. It was like I was driving a standard vehicle and I forgot to push in the clutch coming to a stop. I put it in neutral and it started right up and went into gear. 1,2,3 shifted great, but again it didn't like high gear. The truck has 2500 miles on it. I figured it just needed to get moving again. So, I get home and park it for two days. Sunday afternoon I start it up and take it for a spin. I leave the driveway and it shifts 1,2,3 perfect. Turn the corner and again its 1,2,3 and I'm at about 35 MPH holding the throttle steady waiting on the high gear shift and I saw smoke come out from the hood. I pulled over and It died again. I got out, the smoke disappeared, no fluid or leaks anywhere. Started it up and now I have reverse gear when the selector is in R and N and no forward gears. And, not just no forward gears, it acts like I'm against a building trying to push it over. I think there is a stuck servo or two in the valve body. I disengaged the transfer case and went through the gear selector detents with the engine running and the drive shaft spins in reverse and neutral. when I put in drive the shaft stops. I have worked on valve bodies in later model cars so I may have a look at this one or I'd really like to buy a new or rebuilt assembly. Has anyone ever had this problem or one similar that you can remember hearing about? Thanks.
Very similar event happened to mine. Lost 4th then Rev. I found the vent lines clogged with insect debris. Pressure builds up and 4 slips and
down hill from there. Need to get the trans on the bench.

rustystud

You've lost your fourth and forward clutch packs. This transmission does not have a lock-up torque converter either. I've rebuilt plenty of these units and I have said over and over that engine oil is not good in an automatic transmission ! The military doesn't use engine oil in any of their modern vehicle automatics. They learned there lesson. The reason Allison allowed the use of engine oil was because the military wanted it period ! I worked at an Allison shop "Neils Detroit Diesel" and I own all the factory manuals on this transmission. No where is it stated your allowed to use engine oil ! You can use Hydraulic fluid though. All that being said you need this unit totally rebuilt. The amount of crud and debris inside will be tremendous ! Don't believe, just drop your oil pan.

rustystud

Very similar event happened to mine. Lost 4th then Rev. I found the vent lines clogged with insect debris. Pressure builds up and 4 slips and
down hill from there. Need to get the trans on the bench.
Fourth and reverse share the same clutch pack. Lose fourth you also lose reverse. Has nothing to do with the vent being clogged.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've lost your fourth and forward clutch packs. This transmission does not have a lock-up torque converter either. I've rebuilt plenty of these units and I have said over and over that engine oil is not good in an automatic transmission ! The military doesn't use engine oil in any of their modern vehicle automatics. They learned there lesson. The reason Allison allowed the use of engine oil was because the military wanted it period ! I worked at an Allison shop "Neils Detroit Diesel" and I own all the factory manuals on this transmission. No where is it stated your allowed to use engine oil ! You can use Hydraulic fluid though. All that being said you need this unit totally rebuilt. The amount of crud and debris inside will be tremendous ! Don't believe, just drop your oil pan.
It appears this M35A3 has a locking torque converter;
[h=3]Erik's M35A3 (owner of Erik's Military & Industrial Surplus)[/h]www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/erm3oermiins.html

Allison AT1545P auto transmission w/ locking torque converter. ... Added a Mitchell 3000-A gear splitter (overdrive/direct) giving a top speed of slightly over 60 MPH. ... The Allison AT1545P does not have overdrive so the stock M35A3 tops out at 53 MPH at engine red line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks