• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 dual wheel removal

On the topic of wheel removal tools for Dual wheels:

In the past, I have used a pallet jack with GREAT success to service the rear duals on my M35.

Recently, my pallet jack quit working on the day I planned to service my rear brake cylinders. With funding at a Low. I went to research the possibilities at the local Harbor Freight.

This is what I found and tested:

It is possible to use a medium duty motorcycle lift with some slight modifiations for balancing the dual rear wheels on the Duece. This cost less than $100 bucks and makes servicing the rear very easily. Removal time 5 minutes. It actually worked a little better than the pallet jack because you can tlif the rear of this and adjust it where you cannot do that easily with the pallet jack.

Modifications req'd: adding 2 small pieces of Angle Iron to the pads in order to help balance the wheel surface.

Check it out:

Attachments

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks to me like a very good tool you have developed. That should make the job a whole lot easier. Good work.

its not 2x2..more like 3/4 heavy wall........I think a litttle small but its what I had and seems to work just fine...no bending. Other sizes would work, you would just have to lay it out a bit before attaching it to the jack. I even considered a piece of retangular wood, but I think this worked out better.

It just needs to be strong enough to balance the assembly....

Josh

I got a few pallet jacks laying around, Never though of using them for that. Anyone have a write up on how to pull everything off as an assembly like that laying around?

I got a few pallet jacks laying around, Never though of using them for that. Anyone have a write up on how to pull everything off as an assembly like that laying around?
Its in the manual, very simple:
Pull axel bolts and axel,
bend keywasher tab
remove nut
remove washer
remove other nut
This is the important part:
MAKE SURE THE JACK IS UNDER THE WHEEL BEFORE PULLING THE INNER NUT
Pull Bearing out....
Slight nudge of wheel...it falls off
Pull back

There are many threads that note this in detail....real quick way to do it.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A poor man's trick is to use a greased piece of plywood. Let the jack down on it , just so the trucks weight is off the wheels, and slide them out & roll them out of the way. This trick also works great if your out away from the shop, and just on dirt/no concrete. Saves you from taking off the wheels. Its the only trick that works then.

A poor man's trick is to use a greased piece of plywood. Let the jack down on it , just so the trucks weight is off the wheels, and slide them out & roll them out of the way. This trick also works great if your out away from the shop, and just on dirt/no concrete. Saves you from taking off the wheels. Its the only trick that works then.
Never thought about that, nice addition to the thread!

Recht71

Used grease on plywood in Vietnam and still do. I really do like the jack ,great idea I'll have to look into that The older you get you need to fined better ways to do things

The pallet jack worked great because I had it. Didnt really use it for anyting else but that purpose...and the occasional flat cart.

When faced with having to buy one, I decided to get sometihing I might use more often. Since I have motorcycles, It pays off twice for me. The other thing about the motorcycle jack is that I can easily fold it down to almost nothing and keep it on the truck. Not sure if I will, but I might.:D

The wheel dolly is cool, looks similar to what is in the TM (Where i got my ides for the pallet jack).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks