• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 engine help

sinister

I believe the valve seals are leaking on my LDT465. I have noticed more blue smoke than usual and oil began to leak from the turbo housing. I removed the turbo and saw there was oil all up in the manifold. My thought is leaky valve seals due to me not running it on a weekly basis, atleast, causing them to dry out. My ? is can the seals be replaced without removing the heads or is there some way to hold the valves up through the injector ports? Also, kind of a stupid ? but if the turbos on these trucks don't add much power, could I swap my turbo for whichever turbo it is that whistles. I know that seems silly, but if they are all about the same, I would rather hear the turbo whistle.

Westech

CPL
yes you can pull the injectors and add air to hold them up... now. you can put the cylinder at top dead and do it that way too.. there is only like .060 clearance between the piston and the valve anyway so it not going to drop much if it does fall.

BUT your problem could be bad seals in the turbo itself. that would be my educated guess.

sinister

Re: RE: M35 engine help

Westech said:
yes you can pull the injectors and add air to hold them up... now. you can put the cylinder at top dead and do it that way too.. there is only like .060 clearance between the piston and the valve anyway so it not going to drop much if it does fall.

BUT your problem could be bad seals in the turbo itself. that would be my educated guess.
That's what I was thinking untill I saw all the oil residue in the exhaust manifold. If it turns out to be the turbo, where would be the best place to get a "c" turbo and if it's the valve seals, where could I find those? Thanks for the help.

Westech

CPL
RE: Re: RE: M35 engine help

Memphis truck (google them) boyce truck (google) or try our home parts store OD Iron.com.. D man is a good guy. he hook you up good.

garp

RE: Re: RE: M35 engine help

Are you sure you are seeing oil and not "slobber" from excessive idling? Seen a few turbos changed for no good reason because of this. Would have to think the valve seals are gone if you're getting that much oil out the exhaust.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With oil up in the manifold it's probally not the turbo. I have a "c" model turbo that i just got off of a bad engine. "window in the block". I'll be overhauling it soon. PM me if you are interested. These turbos are usally pretty tough. And rarely fail. The thing that kills them is shutting the engine off with out idleing a few minutes and letting it cool.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sinister, garp is right. If you have been idling it or just putting around these things will slobber oil out the exhaust. It drips out the joints and out the back of the turbo. Get it out on the high way and run it for a bit. If you can find a load to put in it, do it and drive it at high way speeds...45-50 mph :wink: for an hour. Try looking at these.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....l_exhaust&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index...._oil_loss&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....e_slobber&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

devilman96

Memphis truck (google them) boyce truck (google) or try our home parts store OD Iron.com.. D man is a good guy. he hook you up good.
Wes thanks for the compliment but thus far in not carrying turbo parts for the store YET... However Im email Ken to see if he can help me change that!!! [thumbzup]

SasquatchSanta

If this is your first winter with your deuce and the problem came on with the colder weather I would bet your problem is wet stacking due to the engine running cold.

Multi's don't handle cold weather well. In the winter it can be hard to warm them up enough to get the defrosters to work. If you can get then out on the road and put your foot in the pump (build a fire) the temp will come up and odds are, your problem will go away. With the deuces high volume water pump fan idling is a killer. The fan over cools the engine at idle and causes problems much like you have described.

A winter front helps but I had to install an electric fan to solve my winter problems.

Hope this helps.

sinister

SasquatchSanta said:
If this is your first winter with your deuce and the problem came on with the colder weather I would bet your problem is wet stacking due to the engine running cold.

Multi's don't handle cold weather well. In the winter it can be hard to warm them up enough to get the defrosters to work. If you can get then out on the road and put your foot in the pump (build fire) the temp will come up and odds are, your problem will go away. With the deuces high volume water pump fan idling is a killer. The fan over cools the engine at idle and causes problems much like you have described.

A winter front helps but I had to install an electric fan to solve my winter problems.

Hope this helps
Sinister, garp is right. If you have been idling it or just putting around these things will slobber oil out the exhaust. It drips out the joints and out the back of the turbo. Get it out on the high way and run it for a bit. If you can find a load to put in it, do it and drive it at high way speeds...45-50 mph for an hour. Try looking at these.
aby the way, there are no valve stem seals on multifuel engines.........
Thanks for all the replies! I learn something everyday from you guys. I had been ideling the truck and puttin around in it when the problem surfaced. I got 'er out today and ran the $#!t out of it and the more it ran, the less it smoked, and finally quit alltogether. Also I had no idea that multi's had no valve seals, either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks