• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Esoterica

Ajax MD

That's Esoterica, not "Erotica." Get your brains out of the gutter.

I have an obscure question: Why do M35's have that crazy, dog-legged switch lever on the battery cutoff, rather than the standard switch lever that is on virtually every other electrical control on every M35 and early 5-ton truck? The long switch handle seems to interfere with the operation of the light switch.

See the attached photos to see what I mean.

Attachments

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 things
1 does you power switch go all the way to cover the stop cable or does it stop short. If short then take handle off reposition a bit till it does.

2 dont believe lights work when the switch is off anyway!

Ajax MD

2 things
1 does you power switch go all the way to cover the stop cable or does it stop short. If short then take handle off reposition a bit till it does.

2 dont believe lights work when the switch is off anyway!
I don't have the crazy dog-leg switch, I was just curious as to its purpose. If the purpose is to intentionally interfere with other controls as sort of a safety interlock, that makes sense, but I wasn't sure that was the real reason for the crazy switch handle.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it is designed to interfere with the engine stop handle. My ACC switch effectively blocks the STOP pullout from being operated until the ACC switch is turned off. I think that stopping the engine and accidentally leaving the ACC swith in the ON position was the cause of a great many Deuce low air buzzers screaming their little brains out in deserted motor pools until the batteries were empty.

Methinks the dog-legged switch is a low-cost attempt to get operators to switch the ACC power off before stopping the engine and not forgetting about it.

fasttruck

Reference post 2: the lights on a M35 work whether or not the battery switch is off, not like a M809 where the battery switch deactivates the whole electric system except the cold weather starting aid. Push the center lever on the light switch past off the black out marker by mistake and see if the battery goes dead.

Reference post 5: The threat of leaving the battery switch on is not so much the fate of the low air alarm but the fuel transfer pump in the fuel tank which will continue to run and fill the engine up with fuel. This will lead to a circumstance referred to in the -10 manual as "hydrostatic lock." This is not a good thing.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reference post 2: the lights on a M35 work whether or not the battery switch is off, not like a M809 where the battery switch deactivates the whole electric system except the cold weather starting aid. Push the center lever on the light switch past off the black out marker by mistake and see if the battery goes dead.

Reference post 5: The threat of leaving the battery switch on is not so much the fate of the low air alarm but the fuel transfer pump in the fuel tank which will continue to run and fill the engine up with fuel. This will lead to a circumstance referred to in the -10 manual as "hydrostatic lock." This is not a good thing.
Got it thanks. Couldn't remember if the switch kills all power on the Deuce. Guess I should have confirmed before "I Think"🤔

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also agree 100% with #4. Lever is designed to prevent stop switch from being pulled out while Battery switch is left on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks