• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Front Bumper Extensions

CommoChief

Are the front bumper extensions (on a winch truck) standard channel dimensions?
I want to extend the bumper on a non-winch deuce and then apply a piece of flat steel
in order to make a platform to stand on while working on the engine. Wondering if I can
go to my local steel store and get channel to fit or are these available as NOS? Thanks...Bill

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frame rails on the deuce are not the same dimensions as any standard C Channel and neither is the winch mount. You could find a fabricator with a brake press to make the channels for you. Or do what I do, fold down the engine side panels and sit on those when servicing the engine.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As NDT suggested, have someone with a brake press make them for you.

Use 1/4" plate, bent to 7.35" x 2.56" (measured outside).
(You can see all these dimensions, posted here...)

G.

rustystud

As NDT suggested, have someone with a brake press make them for you.

Use 1/4" plate, bent to 7.35" x 2.56" (measured outside).
(You can see all these dimensions, posted here...)

G.
Totally agree with you Gerhard. When I made my winch extension I had a shop fabricate them for me. They are also "rolled" and not right angled like a lot of people think. It's a 1/2" roll if I remember correctly. Also they are "not" industry standard in any way !

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....They are also "rolled" and not right angled like a lot of people think. It's a 1/2" roll if I remember correctly. ..............
Well, it is the radius you get from using a 2"-wide V-block (8-times the material thickness, for mild steel).

oboyjohn

Hi Guys. Up here North of the border, all of our M35`s or as known here, MLVW`s were modified in the mid `80`s with front bumper frame extensions. Didn't`t matter if they were winch equipped or not, all were done. This mod was greatly appreciated by all because we now had a platform for drivers and mechanics to stand on when checking the engines. They came in a kit, and you had relocate the BO drive light to the front bumper ( see round hole).
MLVW long frame.jpg t3d-qc-fred_aug_08_170.jpg Frame extension..jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting!

Wondering about bolts #23, since there are no existing holes in the frame, in that exact location. Or could that drawing be wrong?

oboyjohn

On our trucks, those bolts and holes are there, its a tie down point on the frame. There are 3 of these tie down points on the first 6 feet of frame on each side. In actuality there were 2 mods done, the frame extension and installation of step plates between the bumpers and the front of each fender.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On our trucks, those bolts and holes are there, its a tie down point on the frame. There are 3 of these tie down points on the first 6 feet of frame on each side. ................
Yes, I know what goes there...:) And all M44-chassis I have seen so far have those 3 U-bolts (tie-down points?), on each side. (The 3rd one goes over the rearward front spring perch, from there it's 22" to the 2nd one; 2nd to 1st = 32.5", center to center.)

But the point is that the Canadian frames must be slightly different then, when it comes to bolt holes in that area - compared to the US trucks?
Because, according to your drawing, if someone wanted to mount a US-made frame extension instead, the first (front most) U-bolt could not be installed without drilling new holes...!?

I know - this is getting off-topic, now...

oboyjohn

When our trucks were built by Bombardier back around 1982, they used an American M35 as the basis and then proceeded to make upwards of 40-50 improvements. I am guessing that additional tie down point at the front of the frame was one of them.

rustystud

Well, it is the radius you get from using a 2"-wide V-block (8-times the material thickness, for mild steel).
No, they actually used a special rolled edged plate to push with. The press was a 100 ton unit capable of pressing 8 ft sections.
Very impressive ! They showed me what it would look like with a true 90 degree angle and it was a true 90 degree angle after they pressed it out !

oboyjohn

Hello Wilfred. What you are seeing is one of the many mods done to our trucks. That is the muffler. The exhaust ran from both cylinder banks, joined up at the rear left side of the engine through a "y" adapter, dropped down below the cab floor boards with a flex pipe, followed by a relatively straight section of pipe to the muffler.

A Blind Man

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a special strength steel required? I would think so as a winch
would require a strong base due to the torque.
well considering the deuce was essentially made with the cheapest steel possible...
Nah all the torque strength comes from the shape/thickness, just get some a36 or equivalent mild steel and call it a day

rustystud

well considering the deuce was essentially made with the cheapest steel possible...
Nah all the torque strength comes from the shape/thickness, just get some a36 or equivalent mild steel and call it a day
No, not the cheapest steel. It is mild steel though so you can do "in field" repairs to the frame. It actually is a well thought out unit. It provides excellent flex and strength and is easily repaired. Try that with some of these modern frames which take some expensive equipment to fix. Just saying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks