• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Gasser questions

mech

I have recently purchased a 1967 Kaiser M35 with a 331 REO engine. I am making the trip to pick it up in a week. I am curios what problems i should be ready for. The truck runs and drives, hasn't been driven on a long trip in a while though. Also are the fuel filters the same as the multifuel filters?

The truck was rebuilt by Memphis Equipment years ago and was supposedly a pipeline truck for the army. I will be driving it from St. Louis, MO to Weatherford,ok. As far as i know the power and drivetrain are stock

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expect the unexpected. It happens everytime. This is kind of a wide open question? It looks like you are familair with M35's so you should have a good idea of the problems. The main thing is focus on all safety related items, brakes, lights, tires so you get home safe and dont endanger others. If I was going to do the trip I would plan 8 hours of preflight time before travel.

Keep us posted an good luck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Unless the 331 was transplanted into a former multifuel truck, (not likely) the year you are being told is incorrect. The 331 came from the factory from 1950 to about 1961. Trucks from the 1950's can have all kinds of age related issues, such as degraded torque rod bushings. If it is a pipeline truck, it will have a rear 20,000 lb winch and front 10,000 lb winch. The gas engine truck has an in-tank filter (stock) only and shares no filters with the multifuel. I would advise against driving this as far as you wish to. Many things can go wrong, such as leaking wheel seals fouling the brakes, bad/leaking/stuck wheel cylinders, etc. Get a hot-shot to haul it for 1.50 a mile.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If it has been sitting a long time there can be major fuel issues......gasoline does not age nearly as well as diesel does.

The smart thing to do is follow the above advice...get a hot shot or buddy with a dually and gooseneck and haul it.

One wrecker bill will negate any savings you might gain by driving it.

mech

Thanks. I was worried about problems like that. My first M35 was badly hacked when i got it so i started at ground zero. Haven't drove it enough to have any failures. Does memphis equipment do a pretty good job on there rebuilds? I have both the dually and trailer. I am worried about the weight. The truck is double framed and has a heavy looking bed. It's the truck in my avatar picture

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Memphis does world class rebuilds if that is what the customer asks for. If many years have passed, all bets are off. A stock M35A2 cargo is about 13,000 with the 2000 lb bed, I would guess yours is not more than 20,000 which is doable on a gooseneck trailer.

Barrman

There was also a fuel filter between the frame and the fuel pump on the drivers side of the engine. Little bitty inline thing.

I totally agree about trailering it home. 5 mpg is all mine ever gets on the open road. Worse in town. You might be limited to 30 mph due to over heating as well. Mine has a changing cruise speed depending on how hot it is outside. 48 mph is the fastest I can do in the summer and still have the engine below 190°.

The Gasser trucks also have the "triple fail" air compressor. Water cooled, engine oiled and supplies air for the brakes. You loose it and you won't get very further down the road.

mech

I talked to the guy i bought it from and it sounds like the truck may have been rebuilt in 67. Going to get it with a trailer. The engine and trans are going to my buddy for his m211 gmc deuce. I have just purchased a ltd 465 with a D turbo to repower the old girl.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to the guy i bought it from and it sounds like the truck may have been rebuilt in 67. Going to get it with a trailer. The engine and trans are going to my buddy for his m211 gmc deuce. I have just purchased a ltd 465 with a D turbo to repower the old girl.
You realize the engine and trans are totally different than a M211's????

sandcobra164

If I remember correctly, your truck will need a different transmission when you switch to the Multi Diesel as the Gasser's didn't have an Overdrive gear. Other than the poor fuel economy, I think it'd be neat to have a Gasser M35 Deuce or perhaps an M211. As for retrofitting a Multi Diesel into a truck, I'd be putting a 12 Valve Cummins 5.9 with a mechanical pump if I were tasked with it. Parts are plentiful for that motor, it's been done and you can search around here for advice. It'll easily handle the RPM's required to spin the axle's low ratios and makes quite a bit more power (stock) than the Multi and has way more potential to do more.

mech

I have thought about swapping my cummins from my 91 dodge into this next truck. It may be the way i go this time. The multifeul i put in my bobbed deuce is a great engine, but your right the 5.9 has more torque and horse power as well as being 800 pounds lighter. Then again i just purchased a 1942 white half track that needs a motor

JasonS

The Gasser trucks also have the "triple fail" air compressor. Water cooled, engine oiled and supplies air for the brakes. You loose it and you won't get very further down the road.
Mine were all air cooled; same as the multifuels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks