• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35, Going To A Larger Tire Using Same Wheels?

arnettbros

Just curious about what the largest tire I can put on my stock wheels. My M35 currently has the original 900-20's, just want a larger tire without changing wheel sizes. Any ideas on what large singel would fit well, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
On the stock rims you can go with 1100x20's (off 5 ton trucks) and 12.5x20's. If you get into the bigger radials you will have to consider getting some HEMMT rims recentered to hold wider tires.

While you will pick up a little top end if you go with the HEMMT rims and big radials you will be adding additional weight....your acceleration will suffer unless you are good at split shifting.

emr

sixteen hundred gazzilion posts on this subject, U really should read alot of them to get up to speed, I am sayin this because it is alot of info u will need and more info than u will get in one thread, I only mean this to learn... Now as for the exact answer to your question, If u clean up your rims, u may find stamped on them MAX TIRE SIZE 1200 ... in a court of law u are safe up to that size, the 1250s sure do work and will for ever, but that is the propper answer, and the very popular 1100 michelins allow U to keep deuls on your truck, but that is your prefference, I will offer a liitle more also, A single tire set up in most cases will get U further in off road conditions, most that is because there is a wide veriety of widths U can use, wider tires do better in sand and rocks and narrow tires do better in mud and snow, for a basic rule this is true, there is always someone who will say there wide tire is better every where, but thats just not true, the driver is as important as the tire anyday also.. , ..and deuls are better in stability in a loaded truck every time this is also a fact....good luck,

I have the michelin XL 11x20s and they are a nice addition. Better top end (about 65) but I have learned that over 55 on anything but the smoothest highways is still a stretch from a stability perspective. Rear end bounces sideways on moderate bumps/holes.

My 2cents

wehring

Tires

I am near Houston. Got plenty of tires. Give me a call and I will be happy to help you.

What is the biggest that people run...395/85R20. What is the biggest I would run on the factory wheels...11.00R20. What would I run.... the Michelin 11.00R20 XLs

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Nomad1

Now now when your on tundra you want to float on top of the snow so wider is better. Here is a picture of stamp you mentioned59253021_318049602451053_1740893765695963136_n.jpg
sixteen hundred gazzilion posts on this subject, U really should read alot of them to get up to speed, I am sayin this because it is alot of info u will need and more info than u will get in one thread, I only mean this to learn... Now as for the exact answer to your question, If u clean up your rims, u may find stamped on them MAX TIRE SIZE 1200 ... in a court of law u are safe up to that size, the 1250s sure do work and will for ever, but that is the propper answer, and the very popular 1100 michelins allow U to keep deuls on your truck, but that is your prefference, I will offer a liitle more also, A single tire set up in most cases will get U further in off road conditions, most that is because there is a wide veriety of widths U can use, wider tires do better in sand and rocks and narrow tires do better in mud and snow, for a basic rule this is true, there is always someone who will say there wide tire is better every where, but thats just not true, the driver is as important as the tire anyday also.. , ..and deuls are better in stability in a loaded truck every time this is also a fact....good luck,

tobyS

I have a personal preference on the deuce of 11.00R20 on budds in the rear (your rims) and a more flotation and wider stance of A3 wheels and 14.5R20 as steer tires. For a spare, one of the 11.00 will work on the front to get you home, but I do believe it would pull hard.

My deuce A3 4x4 will be on Michelin XZL or GY 395's to get higher top speed.

Last edited:

Nomad1

Are you running 8 in the rear or just 4? I plan on running 11.00-20 3 season eventually and some 9.00-20(not stock) winter not on tundra mostly roads maybe not always good ones. People think singles are better than duals or vice versa both have there pros and cons and it depends on what your doing
I have a personal preference on the deuce of 11.00R20 on budds in the rear (your rims) and a more flotation and wider stance of A3 wheels and 14.5R20 as steer tires. For a spare, one of the 11.00 will work on the front to get you home, but I do believe it would pull hard.

tobyS

My truck is an A3 4x4 and had singles. I was referring to a 6x6 deuce that came with duals (Budd style) like I thought your truck has. The 11.00R20 and the 14.5R20 are nearly the same revolutions per mile.

I'm only running 2 tires in the rear....but I was recommending 8 of the 11.00's. Start entering key words in the search, there are lots of discussions.

Nomad1

My truck is an A3 4x4 and had singles. I was referring to a 6x6 deuce that came with duals (Budd style) like I thought your truck has. The 11.00R20 and the 14.5R20 are nearly the same revolutions per mile

yes a good set of 11.00 in the future is the plan speaking of bobbed trucks a 5 ton with just one set of duals would be a pracitail setup for someone I think but I think a little outside the box sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

tobyS

There are quite a few bobbed 5 tons. Myself, I like the older M809 series looks but the later models do ride nice. The m931 is the one to do it to.... the frame is already short.

I would have to look into dual 12.50R20 and it's match in a single (for the steer) on the 5 ton, they may match the 395. I know about the deuce, I have a couple of wheels and tires in classified.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks