• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 - help me own a deuce! quick top fold-down and up

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wonk, Pinzgauers(hope I spelled that right) Are VERY capable rigs, and are the size of VW buses. That would be a garage friendly vehicle, but they cost about 4x a deuce. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Don't loose hope!

Barrman

Don't forget the exhaust stack has to be removed each time you need to clear the garage door. Unless you reroute it to the rear. Then you have A LOT of black smoke blowing out the pipe inside a closed area.

Get a smaller vehicle, move to the country and then go for the M35 is my advice. I drove my M715 as a daily driver for 2 years and it was a pain at times. My wife just told me to go pick up the pizza she ordered for our meal. I will probably take the Mini since the M715 and both M35's have no place to put the pizza after I pick it up that won't have it covered in something dirty by the time I get home. Just a real time real world example of how these things are not practical daily drivers/errand getters.

steelandcanvas

Living in a HOA presents another problem also. Some HOAs have weight restrictions on their roads, usually around 8000 pounds is a commonly posted limit. Your Deuce will weigh about 13,000 and people in your HOA will know and challange that. Talk Wifey into moving, if you talked her into the truck, you can talk her into that.

wsucougarx

I think best remedy is to keep the windshield down/top removed and wear a rain coat and motorcycle helmet w/visor -or- build a pole barn to park the truck in -or- do what everyone else does and park it outside

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I would NEVER speak against a deuce (I love mine, I love mine ((I keep repeating that)), the Unimog is a good vehicle for what you have in mind. Have you thought about a CUCV? I am currently in love with one and am trying to talk the owner into selling.... Good luck.

And as far as the HOA goes, I currently live in an area without one. My neighbor came by the other day and mentioned he would like to start one.... So I shot him, used the deuce to tow his vehicle to the river, transport the body to the swamp and buried him in a shallow, unmarked grave. I told his wife he came by with the maid in the car and asked me to tell her so long.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend you seek out a member of your local MV club. There are quite a few deuces in the area. Have them bring it over to the house and simulate what you're gonna do. I love my deuce and would consider alot of things just to be able to enjoy it.

wiggall

You might look at a M37 The DEUCE's LITTLE BROTHER! I got a 1968 Kaiser- Jeep M35A2 W/W. In July! My Wife loves it, but I have 17 acres to PARK IT ON! FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD 946 1969-1973

SR71BLACKBIRD

I cant bilieve anyone on this site would live in an HOA environment. We do not fit the profile . I figure i do not wany anyone to tell me what i can and cannot do on a daily basis.
I think the oil leaks and noise would be the next issue. I say maybe a VW rabbit diesel. with a straight pipe.

houdel

I rains most of the time where I live in Oregon.
Not to rain on your parade (pun intended) but the typical soft top Deuce leaks like a sieve. I admire your enthusiasm, but you'd better plan on two extra showers a day if you pick a soft top Deuce as a DD. My suggestion - find a new house without a HOA, get a full sized Deuce with hard top and Air-O-Matic power steering (Armstrong steering gets old in a hurry for a DD), a good set of earmuffs and enjoy.