• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 into m109

lawdog1623

I want an m109. I cant find one to save my life. My question is this: could i just pick up a good m35 truck and change the bed out for a box? Is this the only difference between the two trucks? Is this going to be a difficult swap? I can get a box for relatively cheap from a place here in texas so im thinking about going about it this way. I just cant seem to find one of these trucks around me. I dont want an a3 or an a4. Does anyone here know what differences there were between the two trucks? It would be great if it were so simple as swapping out the box for the bed but i doubt that was the only difference.

lawdog1623

Well i figure ill keep an eye out for a good box. Finding a good truck seems easier than locating a box. The surge in " preppers " has undoubtedly affected the availability of the 109. Gov liquidation used to almost give them away. :-?

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

I had a 109 but I swapped it for a regular bed...I bet you can find just the box easier at a scrap yard or surplus place...keep your eyes open...or come to Barstow lol...

lawdog1623

Looks like a nice one too i already sent him a pm. He hasnt called me yet. Im not sure if he will allow me to get a trucking company to pick it up. Anyone have any guesses as to how much it may cost me to ship an article that big? Going from indiana to texas.

Heath_h49008

Minor side question... has anyone tried to rig some RV style jacks to a 109 van body or bed and made them easily swap-able? I didn't see anything when I did a search.

The closest thing I found was a guy with a crane truck placing a bed on a raised block frame.

gov liquidation isn't giving anything away these days... I was just watching 4 M35A2's and they went for between 4000 and 5400... not including the auction fee and sales tax...

I like the idea of an M109 but since they're hard to find, I may just build a custom camper for the back instead... yet another project :)

Heath_h49008

Or find an S-280 insert. I think those are about the same size as the 109, but slip inside the M35 bed. I could be wrong, but if I am someone will chime in with the exact info. It might be easier to find one of those close to you.

armytruck63

Minor side question... has anyone tried to rig some RV style jacks to a 109 van body or bed and made them easily swap-able? I didn't see anything when I did a search.

The closest thing I found was a guy with a crane truck placing a bed on a raised block frame.
I like this idea. It seems that when you have an M35A2, you wish for an M109A3 and vice-versa. An expensive and space-consuming solution is to own one of each - I had two M35A2's and an M185A3 at one point. That was a little ridiculous, so I kept the best M35A2 and sold the other two trucks.

I think an S-280 shelter with RV jacks in an M35 bed would be a nice combination.

dmetalmiki

You CAN turn anything into anything if your determined!. Here are pictures of me pinching the radio (fully fitted camper)Body from off my Praga and grafting it onto my REO M54A2!. I like the look of the radio/ machine bodies on Russian trucks. SO, now I have the best of two worlds.(countries).

Attachments

jesusgatos

Not yet, but yes. Planning on building something like that for the box on mah deuce. Someone on here posted some pictures of some kind of grain/gravel truck that gave me some good ideas. Am also going to build an aluminum flatbed that will be sandwiched between the frame and the box. That'll make the truck pretty useful for hauling stuff after I offload the box.

SMOKEWAGON66

lawdog1623

Well im waiting on a couple of options here. Gotta see how much its gonna cost to ship this box to me vs. Buy a truck. Choices choices choices:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks