• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Oil Filter Seals Leaking.

ballencd

Guys,

I finally got around to draining the oil in my M35 today and installed the new seals that came with the filters. The old were rubber and the new were fiber. They fit in the outside groove fine and looked pretty much like the ones that came out. I put oil in and fired her up and blew about 2 gallons of oil out of her before I got her shut down. Both filters all around the filter case. I removed the filters and reset, same thing. I removed again and installed old seals and same thing again. What am I doing wrong. I did not have this trouble the last time I did the change.

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never let the can spin.

Torque to 60 ft/lbs (iirc)

What filters did you buy, not all have the correct seals.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ballencd. To avoid this down the road, install the spin on oil filter conversion. No leaks and quicker oil pressure on start up.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ok, so:

A. Make sure your new gaskets actually fit in the groove. There's a machined recess on the outside perimeter, the gasket should go under it.
B. Make sure you're cleaning the can base and the groove.
C. Make sure the can is not spinning when it's touching the gasket. Once the can touches the gasket, hold it tight with one hand while you torque the bolts to 60-65 ft. lbs.
D. I assume it's leaking at the base and not the top (under the bolt heads).

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly not the problem here, but we had a weird one, we found the hollow bolt down through the filter can was a bit too long, bottoming out before properly clamping the can and allowing a leak at the base. Ground some off the end of the hollow bolt and all was well.

ballencd

Thanks for the responses. I took it apart last night again and found what looks like a bent tube on one of the filters so I will attempt to straighten it today and go from there. I have access to a replacement if necessary but a good drive away from home to get it. The base was/is clean and the gasket....old (rubber) and new (fiber) both fit into the groove on the outside of the base nicely. I had not held the can while tightening but will do that from now on. And I did not torque it the first time but am sure it was not to 65 psi so will make sure it gets torqued correctly this time and make note of that for future changes. The filter I am using is a NAPA GOLD 1133 and is what I used the last time with no issues. I'm headed out now and will let you know. Thanks again. Charlie

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took it apart last night again and found what looks like a bent tube on one of the filters so I will attempt to straighten it today and go from there. I have access to a replacement if necessary but a good drive away from home to get it.
If you need a replacement tube, send me a PM with your address and I'll see about round one up, as I've replaced four of my deuce oil filters to the spin on type and still have the old stuff somewhere.

ballencd

It's Running Again!

Thanks SGSC-G4 for the offer. I ended up installing the tube into the engine until it started tightening up, turned it back just enough to get the top of the tube away from me and pulled slightly (pretty hard) until it was straight. I only pulled once and could not feel any movement or give but the top of the tube did not orbit around the hole when I took it out. I ended up using the factory oil seals again as the NAPA 1133 filters came with a hard fiber seal that did not want to seat the base of the can. I torqued them to 60# and the leak was gone. Yea. I will be very careful the next time I change the oil for sure. Is there a good place to get new, factory correct rubber seals? Mine is a 1983 and is still running what came with it when I bought it in about 1998-99.Thanks again for responses and offer of parts.

DSC_0013_5403.jpg