• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 oil pressure and idle

deuceman51

What do you guys usually idle your M35s at? Mine right now is about 550 to 600 and it shakes really bad. speed it up to about 700 and it is smooth. Tonight I had a friend of mine who works on hercules engines tell me that the tractors idle faster and I should increase it a bit for a smoother idle to get rid of the shake. I'm assuming that all you have to do is turn the turnbuckle linkage to the petal to increase the rpm? At idle my engine oil pressure shows 25lbs, 1000rpm=50lbs, 1500rpm 60lbs. I used a mechanical gauge in place of the oil sender unit. We also took out the check valves on the side of the engine behind the turbo to see if they were ok, but I was also wondering if anyone knows which controls what. One does the engine oil pressure and the other another oil pressure in the block. He couldn't remember which controlled which and said the tractors were a little different style, but same principle. Does anybody know the correct length of the springs inside the check valves? I want to see if they compressed and need replacing. Sorry for all the questions, this is my first multifuel and I want to get it all adjusted right to keep her running top notch. I'm slowly fixing about 10 years of farmer neglect before I got the truck. Thanks in advance.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My turd runs 70-75 PSI cold idle, 30-35 PSI hot idle. At 50 MPH, it has 70 PSI. This is using 15w40 oil. You should set the hot idle at 800 RPM to prevent the headlights from shaking themselves to death and causing you to spend mucho dinero for replacement lights.

jwaller

750-800rpm at idle to keep from busting headlight filiments. and so it will idle smooth like it should. cummins will idle at 550-600.

dmuchow

Do these higher idle RPMs make a big difference in fuel consumption? I read somewhere that Diesels use about 10% the fuel that gasoline engines use to idle. I'm sure its a bit higher with multifuel though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't worry about fuel consumption at idle, it's about 1 gal/hr. The proper idle speed is 825-850 for the turboed multifuel about 100 rpm lower for the N/A engine.
It is set with the adjusting screw on the injection pump.
The oil pressure regulator is on the engine block below the turbo, correct length of the springs are in one of the TMs, not sure which one , I'll have to look it up....TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2....section 4-18.

zak

I'm sure I read somewhere, I think it was in the tb's that a low idle will damage the engine due to excessive vibration.

acetomatoco

Idle speed is recommended at 1000 rpm at any time over 5 minutes or so....that is what the hand throttle is for'

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think "idle speed" is defined as the engine rpm without throttle engaged, but you are correct, run at higher rpm after first five minutes of idle.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I did not realize there was an actual idle adjustment screw on the IP. Both of my trucks in current adjustment require idle adjustment with the pull lever. Currently I have have it pulled out maybe halfway to get the 1000RPM idle.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
idle adj screw is at top rear of cover on rear side of ip, where the linkage attaches. it is a screw that goes straight down with a 1/2" lock nut.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't adjusted the idle on a multi-fuel but I'd do it with the engine running. That would keep you from having to adjust it a little then start it and if it's not right shut it off and do it again. Just adjust it till it sounds about right and then look up in the cab and confirm with the tach of have someone in the cab while you adjust and tell you when you're right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks