• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 or m34

yorkgulch2

I am going to see if I can make a deal on a truck advertised as an m35 but the hubs are flipped like an m34 and it looks like it is running singles. Are there any differences besides the flipped hubs The guy doesnt know much about it but thinks it was that way out of the military. Will it have shorter studs on the rear hubs if it is a true m34?
Thanks
Craig

FSBruva

Well, the dataplate will say M34, for starters.... :lol:

The bed will have wheel wells with square edges, and the bed will be as wide as the fenders and running boards of the cab. Sometimes people put M135 beds on, but those have sloped wheel wells.

The singles in the rear does not make it an M34, necessarily. A member of the site, rdixiemiller, got his straight from Uncle Sam with the hubs flipped and with Goodyear radials on it (if memory serves).

Picture of the M135 (thank goodness for images.google.com!!!
http://www.photovault.com/Link/Military/Army/show.asp?tg=MYAVolume04/MYAV04P08_01

Below is the M34 that belongs to maccus - you can notice the square wheel wells.

Matt

Attachments

acrane

The cargo beds for the M135 and M34 are actually one and the same. Some later production M34's actually had the slanted wheel wells on them and some early M135's had the squared off wheel wells.

The slanted wells are actually just earlier beds with cross braces welded across the corners as a modification. The early beds did have a different tailgate with an integral step in it.

There are also some minor differences in the cab, and on various other pieces between the M-34 and M-35.

acrane

As best as I can recall off hand, the M-34:

-has the trouble light outlet inside the engine compartment
-there are two air connections in the cab, one on the driver side and one on the passenger side
-the front fender supports have two holes through them instead of one
-the choke control is located on the passnger side of the dash
-the air pack has the brake light connection on the side rather than on the end

That's about all I can recall right now. Some of these may indeed be on early M-35's but these were all present on my M-34 when I was restoring it.

Here is a pic of my truck. I have some better ones at home I can post later if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Alan

Attachments

acetomatoco

Yup the early one that Alan Crane has came from me... a genuine 1950 M34 with 12V instruments and all... ACE.

yorkgulch2

I looked at it yesterday. It is an m35 now and has m35 bed without flip down sided which is what I was looking for. ld466 white non turbo, heater, air shift, non working winch, looks like 83 rebuild. No title but paper work from Hudson salvage. Cab, doors, and box have rot at bottom and corners, bed is not bad. Not worth hauling to denver unless I can find someone that wants the body. Hood and fenders are good. It runs (did not move no brakes) 3 wheels leaking, big hill! Seems to run good. It is in Craiglist Colo Springs or Pueblo. This is listed as a parts truck for $1500 and another with no winch for $4500 I think. If you were close it would not be a bad deal for a work truck. Pics tomorrow. I told Keith he should register and post it here.