• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Owner Awe

dirtyfingernails

I visit this page frequently although I don't own a deuce--drove them in the military though. I've come close to buying one, VERY close, but chickened out at the last minute. I'm fair with a wrench and have rebuilt several trucks from the ground up (all 1.25 ton and smaller). However, the thought of being stuck in the middle of traffic with a disabled 12,000 pound truck constantly entered my thoughts and finally killed the deal. I love these trucks and am in awe of those of you with cojones large enough to own and operate one--unlike the chicken that I am. Great site!
Steve

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A REALLY good once over when you get your truck, followed by a very healthy does of PM allieviates alot of those fears. Add PMCS before you roll out, and your chances of going deadline in the middle of the road greatly deminish...

poppop

Do as emmando says and then drive the truck close to home and in less traveled areas. This will give you time to get familar with the truck and if there are any major problems they will most likely show up. I did this with my truck and then took off on a 750 mile trip to the Toccoa show with only a burned out muffler and one DOT stop.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, dont forget the 1/5/50 shakedown rule. Go for a 1 mile spin, then 5 then 50.. If at the 50 mark, you havent encountered any problems, your probably good to go. Just keep up on the PMCS stuff, look/listen/feel for warning signs, and you'll be OK

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ironically, once running, little can go wrong to strand you. The trucks are pure mechanical and need no juice to run. Fear not, once you get it shaken down, you will find it to be the most dependable truck in the yard.

Pinkie

Nood juice, thats a good one. I bought my truck 70 miles away from home. I drive trucks for a living so it was not a big deal. I checked and fluids/brakes and fired it up and drove home, no problems at all! Good luck!

FreightTrain

Banned
These monsters will get you home no matter what usually.I have heard of one running and driving even with a crank broken in half.I drove mine home from a bad night trail riding though down town traffic(ok,Medium size southern town...) with no clutch,both knuckles filled slap full of Mud and sand.Come to a redlight knock it out of gear and kill the engine.Stop,Stick it in 2nd and wait.....Hit the starter button and fired up in gear.She pretty much distroyed herself but she got me home safe,sound,and without a tow truck.

JDToumanian

However, the thought of being stuck in the middle of traffic with a disabled 12,000 pound truck constantly entered my thoughts and finally killed the deal.
I got a few moments of that dreadful feeling when, after a stop light changed to green, I put the truck in gear and let out the clutch and - nothing. After a few seconds of panic and thoughts of big expensive tow trucks hooking themselves to my deuce and my wallet, I realized the transfer case had popped itself into neutral. It started doing that more and more often as it destroyed itself... A few months later I replaced it and all is well.

If you really don't want a deuce, this probably isn't the forum for you... if you hang around us, we WILL talk you into buying one! 8)

Regards,
Jon

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I felt the same way. I ended up buying a truck, an extra engine, trans etc for piece of mind. It worked and now I got one!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, Steve, Steve, Steve, Buy one, buy one, buy one, buy one! Jump in with both feet man! :wink:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do it Steve, I absolutely love mine and it has really been helpful around the house.

FSBruva

I am the first to admit that by getting a deuce, I was biting off WAY more than I could chew. But, if I only stuck to what I was comfortable doing, then I would never ever get any more capable!

You have a group of people here that all love their old green iron, and love to see other people enjoying it. That means you have people who will be willing to get up in the middle of the night and tow a person they've met only once in their life. Make some friends in your area (check the member's map), and you'll certainly have at least one person to call in case of emergency.

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to slide by my house, you can take mine for a spin to see if you really want one. Matt did it. He even brought it back!

Armada

Steve, take someone with you that is familier with the duece when looking to buy. That would be a big help as they'll know what to check. Once you buy one, you won't know how you ever got along without one.
The ONLY thing to be EXTREMELY cautious of is, for some unknown reason........................................ they multiply.
I know, we can't figure it out either. NOBODY has just 1 piece of green iron. I they do, they have just gotten it. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks