• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Pioneer Rack

badgmc56

Google m-35 pioneer rack and there are detailed pictures and measurements of the tools. I did that and found all the tools locally in hdwr stores. Just had to shorten up the shovel a couple inches. I think all the tools cost me about 55.00. I painted them and was good to go. I will take pics tomorrow and post.

Lex_Ordo

You can see some good pics below:
Pioneer Tool Rack and Tools

The problem with the pioneer tools is that the racks were designed for US spec dimensions and a lot of tools now are made in China, and are not the correct measurements. You can put whatever tools you want in the rack since nothing is brand specific, but...
The US mandate for military equipment is that it be manufactured in the US.
So Here is what I found to make my truck as correct as I could make it.

Now if you are Cheap, then don't read further, because these tools are expensive. However, I believe you get what you pay for.

The axe company is Council Tool. Current USGI Manufacturer. I'm sure there are others.
I got a beat up take off from a HMMWV rack; It had a cracked handle so I bought a new one.
It is a single bit 4 lb curved handle dayton type. They can be bought direct from the Company. US Made. Council Tool, American-made Premier Striking Tools and Drop Forgings - Product Detail

The Pick Mattocks, I have were made by Woodings Verona Tool, in PA, and were bought up by Ames. Along with many other companies.
I have two that were never used. One came on my truck, and one I bought at Aberdeen. Very well made, and all stamped with US.
5 lbs. #6 eye width.
You can buy the handles from Council Tool as well. Since there is no one source, you could probably buy the Pick mattock from Council as well. US made.
Council Tool, American-made Premier Striking Tools and Drop Forgings - Product Detail

Council Tool, American-made Premier Striking Tools and Drop Forgings - Product Detail

Ames True Temper shovels, are no longer made to the US dimensions and I couldn't find a source to buy an Ames True Temper shovel.

Instead I bought a Union Tools shovel which was made in the US, and was the correct fit, along with the plastic D handle. The ames true temper does have a Black plastic D handle.
Colemans does sell these.
Shovel, NEW, US Military Pioneer type [320501] - $29.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

*** I recently found AMES Shovels being sold at Home Depot. Correct "Tempered USA" stamped head, wood handle and black plastic 'D' grip. They are however slightly longer by about 1 1/2 inches. I have now purchased these and replaced the Union Shovel I speak of above. The reason is the Forward turned Step on the shovel head. The Union shovel is a rearward turned step and collects too much dirt. ***

I Might stand corrected though as I did buy a few TRUE TEMPER, shovels from Carnac, at the 2011 Aberdeen show, and his were straight from GSA, Brand New!

It also is the same shovel listed on the GSA purchasing website:
https://www.gsaglobalsupply.gsa.gov...ontractNumber=GSA&itemNumber=5120-00-293-3336

Last edited: