• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 preferred engine

tobyS

I'm wanting a deuce and wonder what engine is recommended for longevity and performance. How about trans and overdrive? I have read many of the threads but never found one that compares Continental, Hercules and White, which I believe all came on A2s.

I like a quiet ride so a screaming turbo will not be a first choice.

Sorry if I missed a thread on the subject...please link one if you know of one.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The standard engine is the 140 HP (approx) multi-fuel made by White, Hercules or Contenential. Occasionally you might find one with the 200 HP (aprox) engine that was standard in the multi-fuel 5 tons.
There are a lot of re-power options that have been discussed on this site.
I always was happy with the standard engine since they are pretty bullet proof and reliable if you take care of them.

tobyS

Sorry not clear.

Which of the three engines White, Hercules or Contenental would you prefer and why?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're the same engine - different manufacture - built to the same contract. Parts are interchangeable. If it weren't for the Mfg's tag, they would be hard to tell apart. Some have slight modifications, such as the "C" turbo, vrs the "D" turbo.

Kaiser67M715

comparing the three "different" engines is like comparing 3 identical 1999 Honda Civics, except they were all assembled at separate plants

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You want the motor that has "TD" cast in the block near the alt. Everything else is bolt on. You can can add the dual oil squirters, or turbo, or whatever.

tobyS

You want the motor that has "TD" cast in the block near the alt. Everything else is bolt on. You can can add the dual oil squirters, or turbo, or whatever.
Would the TD marking be on all three manufacturers? Or years?

Would you mind explaining why you like that engine?

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

You really want an LDS-465-1 or -1A. This is the higher horsepower engine. The manufacturer is not so important, however I have gathered from my research that the engines built by Continental seem to hold up better.

The later model engines, mostly built by either White or Hercules have a tool steel crankshaft, while the older engines were built with chromoly crankshafts, and therefore not as prone to breaking crankshafts.
If the engine has a rebuild tag on it then there is no way to tell which crankshaft is installed, so they should all be viewed equally after rebuild.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks