• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 preview can i try to start truck

airtech

when i go for a preview can i try to start the trucks i am interested in if so what is the correct start up are you allowed to jump start the trucks if so what is the correct jump start method what is best to jump it with thanks i am new to the trucks. If i cant start the truck what should i check

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
If I was new to the trucks I would not go around starting or jump starting the deuces. You may end up damaging a truck thereby getting yourself in trouble or you could even hurt yourself. They are older style vehicles that have been sitting for sometime. They may not have fluids, belts, flooded cylinders, etc. I would suggest you get together with someone who is into these things in your area to learn about them. Perhaps they could go with you to inspect if they are shopping too. At a very minimum read the TM.

There are some very good past threads on picking up and inspecting deuces that you can search for.

dabtl

When I went to Norman, OK, to look at my truck, post auction, the Master Sergeant in charge went up to the truck and started it himself. He knew all of them, saw them driven in and, as this is a maintenance unit, he had inspected them to know what each would require for delivery to the buyer.

He told me to come back with the paid invoice and drive the truck to Texas. Nice guy.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some sites allow you to start them and some don't. I'd definitely ask first. I will add that I was told by the guys at Chambersburg that they no longer allow people to start the trucks. Apparently, someone who had no clue about the trucks hit the starter with the truck in gear. The truck lurched forward and hit a truck that was still the property of the US ARMY (i.e., not DRMO or GL yet) and did some minor damage to a fender. Fortunately, the truck was going to be turned over to the DRMO anyway. It is events like this that ruin things for the rest of us.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Similar thing happened at Ft. Jackson, except that the truck was driven into the corner of the DRMO building because the brakes were not working. Now, everything there MUST be drug off the lot and onto the street.

GoFastCrackPipe

Another good idea is to ask who ever is in charge of the lot if the truck was driven in or towed in. And most of the time that person will also know if the truck will run or if it will need some work.
When I picked mine up, I had never been in deuce before but I read every TM I could find about it and didn't have any problems. That being said, I do work on a lot of vehicles in my free time so I at least had an idea of what to look for.
The best thing to do is find someone else in your area with a deuce and ask them to go with you. If their like me, they will be more than willing... if for no other reason than to check out some other trucks. :)

These are two of the "sticky" topics in the deuce section that helped me a lot and will get you started but this is just scratching the surface :
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=143
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=22214 ***READ THIS FIRST***

jwaller

SCSG-G4 said:
Similar thing happened at Ft. Jackson, except that the truck was driven into the corner of the DRMO building because the brakes were not working. Now, everything there MUST be drug off the lot and onto the street.
ya theres a whole topic about it on here. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks