• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Replacement alternator

dilligaf13

I need to replace my alternator and am not having a lot of luck getting ahold of Wolverine technolgies. Does anyone else make a bolt on 24V alternator replacement? Thanks.

camoyj7

I had my local alternator shop build me one. I think they used the G.M. si21 case and put the guts to make it 24v. I used the stock mounts plus one more deuce bracket and made up some spacers.

Attachments

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM America sells a bracket kit so you can use a cheap, readily available, off the shelf 24 volt unit. Fast shipping, get before and after customer service. Zero problems since I swapped over.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I'm doing right now. Have the bracket and now I'm waiting on the alt to arrive.
Got the alt off ebay, cost a bit more than the place he recommended, but they could get the pulley for me as well.
Don't really have a good way to drill the stock pulley out, . . . at least not where I am now.

dilligaf13

TM America got back to me lickety spit. I think I'll go that route. I'm a firm believer that customer service and quality workmanship are still the cornerstones to a successful business. Thanks for the hellp guys.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what you think might be complex, my 14 year old soldier B did most of the install. As far as robust I have haven't had an issues the whole time it's been on. Very sturdy IMHO. But, if you design something better people will be interested.

When I bought my kit TM AMerica's and Wolverine's were the only thing out there besides stock or doing your own. I read a few posts about parts delays and communication problems with Wolverine (I don't know if they were solved and I never tried to contact him myself) so based on that I got ahold of George (TM America). This dude spent hours on the phone with me walking me through everything so when I got all my parts together (I ordered my own alts and relays) it went together easily. I handled the electrical and soldier B turned most of the wrenches.

Seems simple enough of a design for me and I'm pretty thick headed. :)

Thanks again George. Still holding up great.

tm america

I didn't like the upside-down mounting design of either tm america's or Wolverine's kits. Seemed overly complex and not robust.
What are you talking about my bracket is almost exactly like the stock bracket....You are confusing my brackets with the other guys stuff. Mine is nothing like wolverines brackets.. My brackets bolts on with the same three bolts that hold the stock bracket on and the adjusting arm goes on in the same location as stock? It is so simple a 8 year old could do it in less than ten minutes.Not to mention my brackets can be used with the 12 volt kit i sell or without it..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey George, when dilligaf13 PMed my about alts I went looking for your classified ad. I didn't find one so I wasn't sure if you were still making them. When you get a chance, relist it. I refer quite a few folks to ads I find in the classifieds. SInce I have CRS, I have to go back and find the sellers in the ads.

Kenny

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is still in the box that George shipped it to me in.........

:-(

Not enough time to install but it looks good sitting on the bench.

randini

What are the advantages to either the stock generator and the new/smaller alternator? Size, endurance, cost???

Are you talking about adding an Alternator, or replacing the stock?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the stock alt with an off the shelf 24 volt (designed for a Cummins I think). Internet cost shipped to my door was less than 120 IIRC. I ordered 2 and have a spare that I will most likely never need in the back. I also added a 12 volt alternator (regular old cheapie delco) to provide juice for my 12 volt stuff - heated mirrors, electric wipers, etc.

dilligaf13

I replaced mine because the old one siezed up and would have cost more than the $650 a new one cost. I got this whole system out the door for less than $200 delivered. So for me it was cost driven. Added bonus it's smaller and lighter and more readily available.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than a purist being able to say that the truck is stock I wouldn't think so.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, that I can find and replace it from civi stock (great for those of us that spend loads of time in travel mod), it also gives much better access to the primary filter . . . and it weighs less :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks