• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 rocker panel repair

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Hello. What is the inside bend radius? Looks like the dimensions are all "outside" dimensions? And to confirm, 18 ga crs, .048" thick?

Guy

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello. What is the inside bend radius? Looks like the dimensions are all "outside" dimensions? And to confirm, 18 ga crs, .048" thick?
  • Yes, that's correct: 18 ga crs, (.048")
  • Yes, dims are outside. I could take some exact measurements on the finished parts, if needed. What really counts is my diagram on the right: mark work-piece as indicated and center the punch as precise as possible, on each of them.
  • Inside radius: I'd say minimum, just what results from using a std. punch & die set for bending #18 ga sheet metal. (I just used what was there in the shop: said to be a 85° punch with a .020" tip radius, on a 86° die with a .472" V-opening)

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
I ask about the radius in an attempt to match the original. On the M151 parts, most of the panels are 18ga, .187" inside radius. When you see a repair done with smaller radius, it sticks out a mile away. I have a '54 M221 I could look at. I'd think that would be similar for the radius?

Guy

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ When you see a repair done with smaller radius, it sticks out a mile away. ................
True. But in this case there are only two "inward" bends that remain visible - and only with the door open: #3 and #5. None of them is critical, IMHO. Even if these came out too "sharp"; after several layers of paint it sure enough would look "factory stock" again.

For everyone's peace of mind, I will try to measure and compare the radius in question, on different cabs, from different generations/manufacturers, and hopefully still "unmolested"....

Besides the outer rocker panel itself there is also a 90 deg angle piece, made of that same #18 #16ga sheet metal, that closes the rocker panel to the inside and joined with the cab floor. That area usually has rotted away at the same pace and needs to be replaced, as well. I will provide those dims, too. Same goes for the reinforcement U-channel that goes inside the rocker panel and the bracket that connects all this to the door jamb.

For those who have the skills and will to restore their cabs it would be great if all these parts would be offered as a kit.

Here, a few more close-ups while playing with my home-made parts.....
Cab repair 028 B.jpg Cab repair 029.jpg Cab repair 025.jpg Rocker panel replacement 002.jpg Cab repair 007.jpg Cab repair 008.jpg Cab repair 027 B.jpg Cab repair, cowl replacement 011.jpg Cab repair 04 026 B.jpg 20210810_130543.jpg

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be my fault guess I can't read ops:oops:
Happened to me too - and it's not that we can't read...:)
It's because the std. font for all our posts makes the lowercase "l" (L as in Lima) and the capital "I" (I as in India) look identical.
I think it's because it was listed as "ipcoating. Should be "Lpcoating".
Yep, you pop up there, 2nd on the list... after typing an LPC in that search window...
Thanks for clarifying.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Okay, I'm struggling. Went through the pictures and prints. Made drawings in AutoCAD of what I interpreted. Numbers aren't adding up as you can see the interference in the drawing.

20210821_094131.jpg20210821_094138.jpg20210821_094317.jpg

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
All of the dimensions shown are "Outside" dimensions. What part is incorrect? I'm guessing it's the 18 ga profile.

Guy

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
The change was from 3.063" to 3.144" on the profile. In this view it's shown as zero clearance, that will be adjusted so that parts properly fit without the use of a hammer. I still have to draw the 7 ga flat pattern but I'm getting there.

@gringeltaube - Gerhard - please review these numbers and verify that I'm correct. Thank you.

Guy

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
please review these numbers and verify that I'm correct.
Working on it right now....

OK, here you go.... See attached drawings, also in PDF, below.
(all to scale & done with the good old MS-Paint ;-) )

Rocker panel replacement.PNG Rocker panel replacement 02.PNG

Also a few more pics....
20210821_110922.jpg 20210821_111717.jpg 20210821_112100.jpg 20210821_112513.jpg

Dimensions were taken from what I believe is an original section - and those "round" numbers all make sense - but not knowing the factory tolerances, the resulting drawing may not be an exact match to the original blueprint.

Anyway, this should be good enough for our purpose and everything adds up correctly, that way.

Edit: Just added a second drawing now, showing dims of that 90° angle piece, and where it goes, spot-welded in place...

Many thanks to @lpcoating for your dedication and patience...!:grd:

Needless to say: this boxed- and not totally sealed- design is the perfect trap for moisture and dirt. No way to flush/rinse all those hollow spaces or even keep them dry, so rust will soon develop there and start "eating" our precious work - unless all parts were phosphatized and then painted with some zinc rich primer, before final assembly.

Attachments

Last edited:

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
So we are in the process of installing a iron phosphate system along with a powder coating batch system and we have a liquid spray booth. So what you mentioned could be an option at CMD.

Guy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks