• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 sound

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I copped a 36 second cut of a deuce driving by. Way cool. Now I need to incorporate that sound into some type of file action in the 'puter.

burt gummers

thanks, 1st time hearing a duece driving. i sat in one and my dads friend tried to start it but the bats were dead.... and now it has been sold. I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or at least go for a ride in one :D

burt

burt gummers

good idea. i did find a lot with some deuces that are fixed up and looking good. they sit outdoors and unattended so i don't think i will be hearing one but i will get to sit in one and get my fix lol. i love these things. i would love to make a deuce my first car. there is a lot of work in the area that could be done to help pay for upkeep of one of these.

burt

DrFoster

Well, if you use standard truck tires on it, you'll get 30-80,000 miles from them. They'll dry rot before they loose all of the tread. on a 5-1/2 gal oil system, that is tested for bad oil every 3,000 miles and sometimes changed as far out as 30,000 with constant use.

Other than that, unless you restore it or drive the heck out of it, there shouldn't be too much upkeep besides batteries, tire pressure, and the occasional wirebrush and paint.

As far as a first car / truck, not a great idea. You should get a class A with airbrakes endorsement to learn all about how to properly operate and maintain the heavy trucks, but it is not required in most places by law, which is really a safety issue, but they base classes of drivers licenses on gross weight of the vehicle.

I noticed today driving with Jim (who is very good for a first-timer on a deuce) that it is VERY helpful to have some OTR background (we used to own a freight brokerage, and drive a few weeks a year) or at least some time in the cab in all 4 seasons with an instructor. There are major differences between a deuce and a car. Air over hydraulic brakes, careful monitoring of the tach, using brakes to slow instead of shifting, rpm matching / windowing, braking distances, reaction skills (steer-countersteer), pre-trip and post-trip inspections... just a couple of items.

burt gummers

i have a friend who drives a truck and i ride with him a lot and hope to have my CDL this summer. i also found someone who fixes up old military equipment who has a deuce. i want to try and find out who he is so i can learn the trucks first hand. if i went and got one of these if would probably be at least a year from now. as with all my hobbies i dont jump in i like to do some research first so i don't get any surprises.
thanks for the info.

burt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary, if you figure that one out, let me know right away. That would be tons better than the flushing toilet I currently have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks