• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Starter Questions

couple/few questions. Can you rebuild the Duece starter? Does anyone sell a kit? Am I correct in assuming that I'll be able take the starter to a NAPA or the like to get it tested? I've looked at some of the recent threads regarding what readings I should be getting where.........but it's off the engine now soooooo............

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd take it to an electric rebuilder. You might take it apart too, and see whats wrong with it. Sometimes it a very simple problem like a brush wire. You can get all the parts you need from a re-builder - burshes, bushings, bendix. You can test everything with a meter, but the armature. You have dont the hard part already - taking it off. Might as well see whats inside it.

Lee in Alaska

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure, you can do a lot of work on them, yourself. If the comutator isn't too bad, you can clean it up & smooth it with sand paper. You can undercut the mica (the little strip between the copper bars - they need to be lower then the bars so the brushes won't bump over them) with a broken piece of hack saw blade. Check all the terminals for contunity with a meter. Check the fields for shorts with the meter & see that each brush has reasnable tension from its spring. Before re-installing it, check it to se if it runs, on the floor, with jumper cables.

Lee in Alaska

A lot of times, you buy a rebuilt starter for big bucks that only got new set of brushes & a paint job.

said like an electrician. I'm looking forward to the project, I think that will be my new years day project!

Happy new year by the way, you ought to have what.......a little over two hours left...

Working on the starter from the 109 that runs like a firebird, MHODGES bought the richmond truck all it needed was some good batteries, anyway Macon was taking the 109 for a little test drive, popped the cluctch (i think) and killed the truck, it hasn't started since. So i did what I do best......swapped parts. Took the starter off the other 109 and put it on the first. Fired right up! I hooked the bad one up the some jumper cables....... not a thing. So that's where I'm at.

Well here are the pictures, kind of grainy they were taken with my phone. Does anyone by chance have a picture of what one is supposed to look like when down to parade rest? As soon as I took of the cover to get at the brushes and carbon covered the floor, the brushes were gouged and broken, now I just wonder what part gave way first and started the chain reaction. Lookes like I need a used one to start over with, anyone here not on ebay have one for sale?

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did the bendix look like? Sort of hard to tell from the pictures, but it took some power to do that.... Like the bendix stuck/didn't release, and when the engine fired, it over-spun the starter. Might be hard to use that one, to get the "core charge" back.

Lee in Alaska

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a deuce starter motor with a bad solenoid relay contact. It runs good, PM me if interested.
Shipping weight is about 65 lb.....no, it won't fit in a flat rate box....