• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Thermal Barrier Kits-- Have you seen any?

66Reo6X6

Greetings from the chilly northland. Have been trying to find a few things to make my truck more user friendly during colder weather. Was looking at TM 9-2320-361-20P Section 2 where there is a thermal barrier kit pictured in figure 258.
and was wondering if anyone knows if this kit is still available.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen any "on the loose", only installed. I tried to pull the material out of a derelict truck once and that did not work. The material is a high density green foam, exactly like the surplus sleeping bag pads you see. An option would be to use those pads to make your own kit. It is basically glued down to every floor and wall surface inside the cab.

54reo

One of my 5 tons has that kit installed and it is in very good condition. I had always planned on making patterns from it, but time always seems too short for some reason...

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reflectix, available at HD or Lowes, would make an excellent heat and vapor barrier. It may even help with the sound levels as well.

If you're not familiar with the trade name, Reflectix is the bubblewrap with aluminum foil coating on both outer surfaces, often used in HVAC and insulating industries.

It can be glued into place, trims easily with scissors, and once installed could be sprayed black, OD, tan, etc.

I have about a 30'x4' piece left over from a previous project, and once I get it installed in my own Deuce, I'll post some pics and a performance report.

Jay

66Reo6X6

Thank you for the ideas! Thought about getting some tractor /heavy equipment cab insulation from a local surplus center but didn't much care for the price tag so will check into these other possibilities.
54reo, Could you please post some pictures of the kit in your truck? I would appreciate being able to see what the cab looks like insulated.

runk

The aluminized bubble wrap works very well, I've used it in several old British cars and the Deuce. It is sort of fragile, I've always covered it with something. Carpet in the British cars, and I used those 2'x2' interlocking foam mats for the Deuce (cut to fit tight, and stiff enought not to need any adhevsive). I got the hardtop, back wall, and floor done and it made a big difference on the heat this summer. I decided I wanted something with better flame resistance / smoke generation for the fire wall and cowl, ordered some DOT / FVMSS 302 rated stuff-
McMaster-Carr
item 9385k53
Looks very similar to the insulation used in the A3 cabs. I will get it installed before summer !

Anyone done anything to insulate inside the doors ? I was thinking about some sort of "Dynamat" type stuff, assuming there isn't much room inside the doors.

jwaller

m35tom does sell the template. I do have a loose set of the cab insulation never installed. it will go in my truck once I finally finish up the rest of the stuff I want to do in the cab. to me that insulation is pretty delicate and must not be abused it seems like it would tear easily.

directions say to lay it down with MEK. I though MEK was only used for cleaning things. amybe it melts a layer of this stuff and it somehow glues it in place.

Bill W

When I put the foam insulation in my first deuce I used Weldwood contact cement ( original formula ) on my current deuce I used Weldwood also only the heavier/thicker gel formula, both worked fine with the gel formula being easier to work with ( not as messy ).

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just installed a hard top on my 813, it has the factory green insulation in it, I haven't tried it for heat retention but I know it helps with the noise and it seems pretty tough compared to some other forms of insulation. I would attach pics but my sd card has taken a dump, after I tool 20-30 photos!

surfdog

If you haven't done it already, you also want to add a winter front to get your engine operating temp up during those chilly winter months. Or just stuff cardboard in between the radiator and grill.

66Reo6X6

Winter Front

If you haven't done it already, you also want to add a winter front to get your engine operating temp up during those chilly winter months. Or just stuff cardboard in between the radiator and grill.
Thanks,
Already have the winter front installed on the truck and recently found a NOS hood
blanket and with side panels. Haven't had a chance to install it yet though.

Cleptomaniac

I went all redneck and cut up a horse mat like they have at Tractor Supply. And put it on the floor (about 3/4in thick) had to get longer bolts. It was a mixed blessing It cut down noise alot but i have no heater yet and it cut down on engine heat aua But i like it not slick. Ill try to remember to get a pic of it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the kits i have on the classified are refined from an original NOS kit. they are paper patterns and give you all the hard to make areas, the floor and inside of doors are not included as they are easy to make without a pattern. what is included are the under side of the cowl, firewall, around vents and rear of cab shell. if you remove the dash panel and heater box from firewall, you can do a really fine job of fitting it. i have been making mine out of the sleeping mattress mat.

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks