• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 tires

MRDunlap

Im in the process of getting my first Deuce and a half and was wondering what tires are available, what sizes and where to get them. Im not so much concerned about added performance (added top speed wouldnt hurt) as i am about overall price as i want to be able to drive it as much as possible, thanks

Caseymikl

9-20 or 11-20 I believe will fit stock. 9-20 is stock. When I got a quote for them at a local place, it was about $2000. And you need new tubes for them as well. I bought some used ones that are in really good shape with wheels for a couple hundred and have a few spares. If you plan to work on it your own. I would get a large bottle jack, an air compressor and a nice impact. Also, the driver side is reverse thread. Learned the hard way and snapped a breaker bar on them. Picked up a nice 3/4 ingersol impact. 1500ft/lbs will do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
9-20 or 11-20 I believe will fit stock. 9-20 is stock. When I got a quote for them at a local place, it was about $2000. And you need new tubes for them as well. I bought some used ones that are in really good shape with wheels for a couple hundred and have a few spares. If you plan to work on it your own. I would get a large bottle jack, an air compressor and a nice impact. Also, the driver side is reverse thread. Learned the hard way and snapped a breaker bar on them. Picked up a nice 3/4 ingersol impact. 1500ft/lbs will do it.

Also you will want to get some good quality heavy duty jack stands or some good wood cribbing to support the vehicle while working on it , never trust the jack by itself.

MRDunlap

Thanks for the tips, will deffinatly need bigger tools. As for tires are mil surplus still the cheapest way to go? How dose singleing the truck go with stock sized tire? Is there a comerical size equivalent to the military tires?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If the membership here can't help, try White Owl Parts, Kinston, NC. PH. 252-522-2586 They're close to you, and their good folks.

winfred

it may benefit from some maintenance/tuning, last deuce i drove before i bought my 109a3 was as you described, a dog and you'd get board on the way to 50 and give up on that then go drive over something for amusemsnt, my 109 however would get to the do not exceed speed of 56 with fairly low boost and egt readings on the only thing that passes for a hill around here the mississippi river bridges suggesting that it's at or near spec on fueling

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prob a newbe question but is any still running there stock 9.00x20 NDT tires. Is there anything wrong with them?
Nothing at all wrong with them. They are extremely capable offroad.

If it's not broke, why fix it?

And you can get them cheap from someone swapping out to singles. I'll have a full set available in a couple of months...

DieselBob

Prob a newbe question but is any still running there stock 9.00x20 NDT tires. Is there anything wrong with them?
I still run the NDCC/NDT 9 – 20 originals on mine. They are a compromise and the only real issue is they have no grooving/channels so they are very poor on wet roads and the very small contact area means they will wear quite quickly if you do a lot of driving. Aired down they worked good in the snow for me.

cameraPics 006.jpg

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I really want to do. First drive on the road. Couldn't believe how much of a dog this thing is. I know it isn't a race horse. But it took me so long just to reach 45mph.
Mine doesn't really feel like it's cruising until I've been driving for 20 min. At the point the top speed seems to creep up a little to about 57 on a flat grade.

I'm planning on changing my wheels/tires mostly out of reasons for looks. There are good reasons to switch and good reasons to stay. What the military intended doesn't matter to me because they never intended these trucks for private ownership.

Last edited:

someoldmoose

Gonna stick my neck out again, sounds like you are more interested in ride quality and on - road traction. Modern radial truck drive tires work very well. Imagine SUV all-terrains for a big truck. Tons of choices so I won't recommend any in particular. This would, however, be the most expensive way to go. If you plan to just putt around in it then stick with surplus 9.00 - 20s for dually rear or 395 / 85 R 20s for super singles (suggest changing wheels to 10" width). With a little shopping you can find a 9.00 R 20 modern radial which will ride nicely (suggest drive tires for all axles). Make sure the load rating of the tire is sufficient. So many choices, how do ya wanna spend yer dime ?

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lock-ring 20" wheels are obsolete. The 900x20 NDT's are a biased ply tire - also obsolete. As stated, you can find enough NDT's at modest "take off prices, to keep you in tires. I have driven them all over the North. Its about impossible to find 900x20 radials. I need 4 more & still looking. Its possible to find some radial 1100x20 take offs from the 5 tons, but probably on the wrong wheels. That's probably the best & cheapest way to move to a more modern radial tire, but slightly larger diameter. You would have to change them over onto your wheels. I would put new tubes in them too. Sometimes here in the classifieds you can find a set - keep checking now.

Caseymikl

I'm planning to keep my 9.00-20 for a while. They work. It won't get driven far. Maybe on occasion a road trip but those will be few and far between. I mostly use mine for yard work. Pulled trees and stumps out of the ground with it. Actually pushed one over with the bumper. But eventually I would like to go to a single. My plan is to use the truck to pull stuff. I also have property where ride atvs and such that I would like to take the deuce too. The surplus tires aren't expensive. Normally $100 per tire. what gets expensive is the fact you need 10, or 11 if you want to keep a good spare on it. Then there's tubes too. And installing. I was quoted $2300 for all 10 with new tubes and installation. But just couldn't eat that cost right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks