• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 to 4X4 singles conversion

Miltrucks

I've got one we just come close to finishing up. I got rid of my M46 and my M816 and decided to build up something smaller and more capable for woods and trail recovery use.

I ended up using a M726 contact maintenance bed, placed the rear axle where it should be, used the duece front springs, and had the driveshaft made to match.

As for clearance, we shortened the height of the steps on each side, moved the exhaust stack to behind the cab, placed a muffler where the batts normally go, and moved the batts over to the driver side where the tool box normally goes. Shortened them a good 6"

The front fenders were cut where they come down to the boxes, and shorter mud flaps were installed.

The fuel tank is mounted in the bed up front, and it still leaves room for a diesel generator / welder combo in the open bed.

Whole thing looks as it came stock this way (except for the double front bumper), and teh 726 maintenance bed fits very nice behind the cab and with the hight of the wheel wells.

Lots of other work was done as well (lockers, Air-o-Matic, extra air tanks, jumper ports on all sides, and lots of other goodies!).

My tires and wheels (super single double beadlocks) came in Monday (XML 395's) and I will be installing them this weekend.

I should be able to have some pictures on the board of the whole thing by Sunday.

There is a lot of work involved in doing these things the right way, and expenses can really add up quick. Not to scare anyone off, but there are other things to think about like shortening the wiring harnesses, the air lines modified, making the rear frame cross member looking "right" with the short frame, modifying a bed so it has proper mount points that look factory, etc.

Painted the whole thing 383 Green and it looks like a big Tonka truck now.

Still have some things to finish up on it like mounting the pioneer racks, fire extinguishers, install the grill lights, etc, but the 726 bed is nice to hold the torches, welders, tools, and more.

More to come.

derekair

wow....thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. i definately know some of you have had "adverse" experiences with USA6x6, and i thank you for sharing that info with me. sorry i didn't have my location up there, i got so excited when i found the site and the wealth of info that i didn't fill out all my information....

Ryan,
I was thinking the same thing when i was walking around the M35, that i'd like to move the steps (or make them smaller), and the tanks/batts. if possible, i'd rather just shorten the stock bed instead of putting a trailer bed on there. seems like that'd give me more options...where can i get the front springs off a 5-ton to do the job?

and although it would be easier to plop down the $12k for one already fabricated, then it wouldn't be MINE as much, know what i mean?

how much "bobbing" is usually done to a stock M35??

thanks again!!!

Miltrucks

I actually got my wheels from USA6x6. Haven't had too much problem with dealing with the company. Took about 5-6 weeks from the order to my door - which they said upfront. Tires look pretty good and wheels look great.

I only looked at them in the dark here this week when they came, and can say more about quality / fit after this weekend.

One arrived with a couple notches out of a couple of the inside lugs, but am working with them on that to see how they want to "make right". They were also going to toss in a free spare that wasn't shipped with the rest of the tires, so I have a follow-up call into them on that as well. Experience typical of when you are dealing with parts companies on used parts. My tires were suppsed to be 95% tread, and they are probably right around that mark, but I haven't measured them yet.

I had ordered a couple extra 12x20s on the total bill, but I believe the wheels / tires / shipping on these 4 + the unmounted spare came to about $2K.

I also purchased dynabeads and had them dropped shipped to USA6x6 and they put those in as they were assembling the wheels (16oz per tire)

More this weekend.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks