• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 to M109

martin

Hi
I am planning to remove the load bed and replace it with a shop van body.
Had a brief look underneath and there seem to be two larger bearers under the load bed.Please can anyone tell me if these come off or whether the van body rests on them. How is it then secured?
Thanks,
Nartin

No.2Diesel

At the top of the page under Resources click on Technical Manuals. Look for an assembly manual for the Deuce. You should be able to find what your looking for.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure exactly of the question, but they are swappable. Both rest on a strip of wood with holes in it for the frame rivets. If rotten can be easily made.

Bill W

I went the other way with my first deuce ( M-45A2 )
I took off the water purification body and put on a cargo bed
I unbolted it ,cut 2 wires and lifted it off with the help of my buddy and his M-62A1

Attachments

Bill W

My old neighbor in So.Fla wanted it so we took it off at his place and set it on that chassis you see in the foreground in the pic which was about 7 years ago and its still sitting in the same spot. Last I heard he wanted to get rid of it.

martin

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the help.
It seemed to me that there were some brackets to secure the van body.
The van being wider than the chassis rails I presume some bracing is needed. I did look at the TMs but cannot now find the diagram I saw yesterday! Has anyone got dimensions of the braces and how many are there?
Thanks,
M

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Martin, the chassis rails and the skid rails on the van body are the same width. All of the mounting brackets are outboard of the frame. Should e 4 mounts per side with a single bolt and a 5th one at the front with 2 smaller bolts and springs. Could that van body that you are looking at be modified?

martin

Hi
It's a bit complicated.
The van body is already on the truck but resting on the loadbed.Thus it is too high and heavy.I want to remove the van, then the bed and then replace the van!
There is a welded strip around the base so I cannot see what is underneath until we cut and lift it off. Then we have to re-secure it. Due to time constraints in the workshop we only have 2 days so I want to prepare fully for any eventuality.
M