• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 turn signal problem

AMDOOR

I have an M35A3 that has not had a problem with the turn signals until just recently. The front signals operate correctly, but the rears seem to be "out of phase" with the lever. When the lever is turned to the right turn position the rear goes into flasher mode. The right, left, and flasher work fine on the front , but the rear seems to be one position out. I thought about replacing the turn signal switch, but the problem seems odd to me. Any suggestions?

steelandcanvas

Would it still be the flasher unit even though the front signals work correctly? I'm thinking the turn signal switch is the culprit. Something in the switch is not in sync. Just my 2cents.

Freight Dog

I had a very similar problem with my M35A3 last year.
None of the symptoms made sense.
In desperation I installed a brand new flasher unit
and Ops check, O.K.

They are not too expensive. Lower the driver side panel and you will find it bolted to the left fender, in front of the air horn.

Hope this helps!

Freight Dog

PS I hate electricity and snakes

gerrykan

The solid state flasher unit only makes the lights flash.
If any of the lights are flashing, I would have a hard time believing the flasher is the problem.
If the signals are constantly lit with no flashing, check the flasher.

Follow cbvets diagnostic list.
If the grounds and wiring are good, it is probably the turn signal switch.
The front signals have separate contacts inside the switch than the rear(because they don't have to contend with the brake lights).
The fronts can work correctly when the rear do not.

I just relocated my flasher relay on my M35A3 by about a foot to make way for a train horn and since the relocation the front turn signals no longer work (the rears still work). The next thing I plan on doing is verifying that the ground is good. Other than that could the problem be related to the front headlight that I have out? I use to have a Ford that when a headlight would go out the turn signals would quit flashing as some sort of indicator that the headlight was out. Hopefully it is not the relay but I am glad to know that they aren't too expensive and are readily available.

Katahdin

Before replacing the components, check the wires going into the connector that plugs into the component. On mine, a couple wires pulled out of the connector going into the turn signal switch. Its a good place for voltage to hop from one bare wire to another wire, which sounds like is happening here.

svan

Not trying to take the thread - but while we are at it - my turn signal problems - worked great until last week - now fronts do not light up / signal and backs while the tail light portion works the signal is dark - checked all bulbs and they seem to be fine. Flasher???? Driving M109A4 If so going to 197thhhc's link.

I changed my bulbs out and they lasted about 3 hours. I think that the problem is that the system is 24 volts and most bulbs are 12 volts. I have LED bulbs on order and they should solve the problem because the have a operating voltage of 10-30 volts.

steelandcanvas

Not trying to take the thread - but while we are at it - my turn signal problems - worked great until last week - now fronts do not light up / signal and backs while the tail light portion works the signal is dark - checked all bulbs and they seem to be fine. Flasher???? Driving M109A4 If so going to 197thhhc's link.
Check your grounds, at the flasher and your signal housings.

Forgot to mention that I ordered the LED's on Amazon from Osprey-Talon. I would NOT order from them again. Of the 4 bulbs I ordered they sent me two that were the wrong ones and of the two that were correct, one didn't work. I asked them to expedite the right items to me to make up for their mistake and instead they USPS grounded them to me which caused me to be without blinkers for an additional week. Not a very professional or legit outfit.