• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 vs M813???

ares1986

correct me if im wrong but here in tennessee you dont need a cdl unless the gvw is over 26000,or put farm tags on it like i did mine. but for personal use i dont think you need a cdl for a 5 ton , but that may just be here.

sandcobra164

The 809 series 5 tons with the exception of the M816 and M820 and I'm not sure what the bridge carrier weighs (M814) are under the 26,000 pound cutoff and have hydraulic brakes so they should be legal without a CDL in your state as the M35's are. A CDL is cheap insurance for someone like myself who likes to play with this stuff. I've had to tow many 10,000 plus pound trailers with my Deuce, some of which had regular air brakes, ie, LVS trailers. Suppose I got stopped, I've got the credentials to cover my backside.

Vintage iron

I love my M813 w/w I drive it everywhere. If it is well maintained it stops and goes just like a Deuce. I know I drive both types frequently! I drive mine in Downtown Boston with 53" Michelin's on it from time to time. Every vehicle has it's pros and cons. My favorite is a M35 with a LDS multifuel motor. personally I like power steering and a big ass truck!

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how are the brakes on the M813? I have read a lot on here where the M35A2s have delicate brakes that can often fail. I thought the M813 might have a more robust brake system. Am I wrong in that thought?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The same single circuit system on a M813 as an M35A2.

Larger parts though.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The same single circuit system on a M813 as an M35A2.

Larger parts though.
Same instances of break failure then with more weight needing to be stopped? Drat. I was thinking the M800 series would have air brakes like the M923 & that would alleviate the brake issues with the M35A2. If it is the same as the deuce, just larger, it isn't an advantage & not worth while to consider an M813 over my M35A2.

Thanks for the info though.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maintenance is the key, my 813 stops on a dime, the brake system has been inspected and maintained. If you drive around with 30+yr old brake lines and ignore the signs of leakage, you're going to have issues when you least expect it.
Maintain your equipment and it will operate as intended. Air brake systems have the same level of failure if not maintained.

rustystud

Maintenance is the key, my 813 stops on a dime, the brake system has been inspected and maintained. If you drive around with 30+yr old brake lines and ignore the signs of leakage, you're going to have issues when you least expect it.
Maintain your equipment and it will operate as intended. Air brake systems have the same level of failure if not maintained.
Scar59 hit it on the head ! Proper regular maintenance is the key here for any vehicle especially a "single circuit" system like these trucks.

my blood flows OD

That is the great part about doing the hub flips on these trucks. It is a good chance to get in there and inspect what is going on with the brakes and bearings. This is another reason I like replacing my knuckle boots and not using the zipper boots. It forces you to look at the brakes and steering componants.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So how are the brakes on the M813? I have read a lot on here where the M35A2s have delicate brakes that can often fail. I thought the M813 might have a more robust brake system. Am I wrong in that thought?
My 36,000 lb 819 can and has locked the brakes up and slid the truck, though ANY big truck on single circuit juice brakes IS not the best thing for blood pressure, ANOTHER thing to consider between a deuce and a 5t is that the 5t CAN use the little deuce as a wheel chock if needed, where's a little deuce would have trouble using a 5t as a wheel chock because it is NOT high enough to get the 5t under the wheels.

sandcobra164

All jokes aside, I have experience as well with all 3 models discussed. My Deuce had a normally functioning brake system and took alot of pedal effort to lock the rears on my dirt road. It could not lock them on pavement without coming up out of the seat due the the pressure put on the pedal. A few M818 and M817 trucks that spent some time out here could lock the rears much easier. My M923 can do it without much pressure or thought about the task and it is a full airbrake system. Certainly the S Cam brakes are more desired than the wedge brakes on the M939 series trucks but they work as intended.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks