• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 with rear winch ever been done ?

sweetk30

has it been done ?

would it be worth it or not ?

can you just mount one on the rear like the front is and use a tcase pto ?

any pics or info would be great. as i have a few ideas in my head when i get my first duece. as i am going to bob it to 4x4 duty i could leave the frame a bit long in the back to help with fitment needs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M756A2 pipeline truck had a rear winch. Going this route would be easiest but finding all the stuff could be tough. M764 auger truck as well as the V18A/MTQ and V17A/MTQ also had rear winches. Do a search for the member Miltrucks and check out his deuce tractor, it has a rear winch from a pipeline truck.

54reo

I think the factory rear winch (like on my V17A) is a rare thing to come across. But you may be meaning the fitting of a standard front winch to the back of the truck.

spicergear

I nestled a 20,000Lb Garwood from a five ton truck in the rear of my M35. Got busy on other stuff and have not finished the drive for it yet.

I also have a 10,000Lb Garwood under the rear of my big M715. Acquistion cost, 150' new 1/2" wire core cable, new Muncie PTO for NP205, making linkage, making driveshaft...prolly $600-$700 total. Used twice in 5 years. :) Weigh your options-

TomB

I picked up a 10,000Lb Braden PTO Winch a few weeks ago.It came with the drive shaft,winch, and pto.
I think it was from an old Dodge Power Wagon. The PTO bolt pattern is not standard.
I was thinking of mounting it on the rear of my M35 because the PTO shaft input is on the
wrong side of the winch for front mount on the M35. It came with 100' of 3/8" wire rope.
I wonder if that is too small.

By the way this is my first post. Just joined yesterday.

jatonka

RE: Re: RE: m35 with rear winch ever been done ?

Welcome to Steel Soldiers, TomB. That winch setup is worth more to the power wagon/ M37 guys than it will be to you. The odd pattern PTO is not that easy to find so maybe you could do some trading to a PW jockey. Just a thought. Our deuce winch setups are running $1000 to $1500 complete all over the place, you can get that or more for what you have. There are power wagon forums out there. google it. JT out

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Welcome to the site Tom that is a good looking deuce in your avatar and is that grass in New Mexico? I would consider what the Russian trucks do and use rollers and pulleys to route the cable out the rear from the front winch. On the russian trucks the winch is in back and they route it to the front as needed. In most cases it is easier to recover going back then trying to go forward when stuck.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

i would use hydraulics to power the winch even if i was putting a stock winch on front. several advantages including no shear pin to worry about, system pressure can be set to act in place of shear pin, pressure gauge on system lets you know how hard you are pulling, much better control.

TomB

I like the idea of using hydraulics. Thats good advice for me and for sweetk30 who posted the first question.
I was worried about shaft rotation direction and hydraulics would solve that.
I already added a dump bed kit to the truck so some hydraulics are already in place.

Thanks for the welcome to the site.
Indeed there is grass in New Mexico. Some folks select a small area of
ground and use it to "fight the desert".

I will offer the PW PTO parts to the PW guys. I'm not ever going to use it.

ygmir

when I put my crane on a deuce, I mounted a hydraulic pump to the cross member just behind the transfer case, and using a rear facing pto, drive it. I still have the forward pto for a winch, or, whatever.
there is also a rear facing splined shaft on the transfer, up high, middle. It's a harder to come by pto unit, though. IMHO.