• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A series brake shoes

jimm1009

Hello fellow MVers. I had two wheel cylinders stick and the forward rear axle got hot on both sides.
I have all six new Wagner wheel cylinders and all new flex hoses ready plus I am replacing all bearings
and seals on all wheels but I just was not quite ready to do it so soon.
What I need a honest opinion on is replacement brake shoes. They are not cheap and let's face it, the "N.S." products
while plentiful are not all equal to OEM parts. Many vendors sell this brand and some of it is ok but brake shoes are not something
that I am willing to skip on in quality.
While I have not removed the drums yet I do know that I want to replace the shoes and hardware on this axle as they had to have been
overheated pretty badly.
I guess long story short, are the shoes made by this "brand" ok or should I as a responsible owner try to either reline (or contract the relining) the ones that I have or go to
another brand?
jimm1009 here on S.S.
Jim

jimm1009

That is great news. Can you two give me the contact info or at least point me to city and state? Jim

PS: Do either of you remember an approximate cost or percentage of savings? The shoe set is anywhere from $68
to 75 depending on the vendor.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is great news. Can you two give me the contact info or at least point me to city and state? Jim

PS: Do either of you remember an approximate cost or percentage of savings? The shoe set is anywhere from $68
to 75 depending on the vendor.
Sorry I do not remember the cost, But I know it was less then new shoes. Any Brake and clutch shop should be able to do it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sorry I do not remember the cost, But I know it was less then new shoes. Any Brake and clutch shop should be able to do it.
TruckPro seems to qualify as good people and have quite a lot of parts "on the shelf".
The guys here in Charlotte seem to have a positive attitude and are willing to go the extra mile...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It depends on how one does adjust them
Yes Sir! You are right frank8003

Discovering how the cam on the bottom of the shoe(s) functions really is magic.
The hardest part is teaching the goal.
GOAL is to have as much shoe to drum contact as possible.
EVEN contact being the key...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
On mine the brakes came first. It is really easy to buy a car/truck
and get somebody else to fix it but not a Deuce

Attachments

jimm1009

Some things I had to handmake as I could not pull the Rockwell just to fix a thingie, so I invented stuff.View attachment 835923
I purchased a pallet jack like that and it looks like mine as mine is a Toyota brand. Two metal braces coming up from the frame to the wheel should hold it in place and allow the device to handle that 400 to 500 lb. weight of the tire and wheel. MRAP tires on mine.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
A few more things about Deuce brakes to help
The things that are supposed to be able to rotate can be frozen up.
Some of my notes and I never had soldier B so devised way to get circlips off without damage.
The shoes should adjust easily and maintain alignment but not allowed to post .MOV files here.

Attachments

jimm1009

A few more things about Deuce brakes to help
The things that are supposed to be able to rotate can be frozen up.
Some of my notes and I never had soldier B so devised way to get circlips off without damage.
The shoes should adjust easily and maintain alignment but not allowed to post .MOV files here.
Frank, sent you a pm. Jim

Gunfreak25

Frank, I noticed in your pictures you have the brake shoe hold down washer cups on the top bolt, on either side of the spring. It is my understanding the solid cup goes on the lower hold down bolt on the shoe. At least that’s how my truck came to me, the TM is a little tricky to look at showing this.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Frank, I noticed in your pictures you have the brake shoe hold down washer cups on the top bolt, on either side of the spring. It is my understanding the solid cup goes on the lower hold down bolt on the shoe. At least that’s how my truck came to me, the TM is a little tricky to look at showing this.
Yeah, I spent about twenty hours getting that part right
Figure 89 in the TM
|Drove me nuts
send to me an email and I will send the as done in .MOV files so one may see it all working really good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks