• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a1 Advice

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some more pictures. Can anybody explain the secondary fuel filter set up? I don’t think that is original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidWymore

Yikes. Looks like someone bypassed your secondary filters.

Off the the top of my head:

In tank pump with fuse in housing on top. 4a? Slow blow glass fuse. 5-7psi

Primary filter under alternator. Stubby filter long housing should have a pin and spring in rod to hold filter up against mount. May be a washable reusable (hard rigid fiber) filter.

Then goes to little rectangular pump down off the size of the injection pump. That’s the booster pump. 30psi idle 75-100? Psi full throttle. Then into the secondary and final filters. They have a spring loaded overflow valve tied into the return to tank line from the fuel injectors and the hydraulic head.

Not it sure if this will work... fuel system basics video

https://m.facebook.com/groups/52368678497?view=permalink&id=10154153166883498&_rdr

Last edited:

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great video!! I am currently cleNing the sludge out of the fuel tank and lift pump. The primary fuel filter was wrong. It looks like the guy that owned it put a secondary fuel filter in and threw away the spring. I am hoping a duel filter setup from a 465 will fit the 427. Right now the secondary is set up as a single with a Napa 3109 filter. This set up might work but I’d prefer to have it right. The O ring was mangled on the primary so I assume it was sucking air. Hopefully that’s why it didn’t start.

DavidWymore

Excellent! I think the tank has a drain plug to flush.

Pretty sure 465 fuel filter rack will fit.

That being said...with a clean tank a modern spin on filter setup that filters to fewer microns would be better.

I think Jeepsinker or rustystud built this one.

Primary- Napa 3418, 1"-12 thread, used a Napa filter base.
Secondary- Napa 3406, 1"-14 thread, Napa filter base.
Final- Napa 3422, 1"-14 thread, I used an old filter base from an International S-1800, but a Napa base can be used here too, you just need to drill and tap the top in the center for an air bleeder.

Attachments

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was doing a quick pressure wash of the the truck yesterday and noticed that on the plate under the range selector it says “earth auger”. Any ideas what this was for?

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how does the range selection work?? It has four. I can’t read the first one but the other three say ??? Winch, Neutral, Earth Auger.

Katahdin

Do you have a PTO on the transfercase and is it connected to anything? That's what the lever should control.

There is nothing wrong with having one secondary fuel filter, its a common modification, although I am not familiar with that filter mount.

Explanation...Ok...Fuel comes in one side from the booster pump. The exit port goes to hydraulic head. There is another port that is a bypass relief valve. That valve should open between 60-70 psi. Connected to that valve should be lines bringing excess fuel from the engine and a line that dumps all the excess fuel into the tank.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer case looks normal. One shaft in and two out. One to the front and one to the back.
As far as the secondary fuel filter I believe it should work fine. There is a line coming from under the IP to the full filter. One from the fuel filter to the HH and another line from the T connection in front of the IP back to the tank. What it is missing though is the bleeder valve on top of the secondary and the spring inside the primary fuel filter.

Katahdin

The bleeder valve is not necessary as long as your tank pump is working.

On my trucks with the bleeder valve opening I install a 0-100psi fuel pressure gauge. Note, you will only see pressure here if the engine is running. The tank pump barely creates 5psi with the engine off.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am waiting on a new filter kit so I decided to start working on the doors that won’t close on one side and won’t open on the other. It’s been 8 hours and one side is working now except the outside handle is stripped out. But the inside works and the window rolls up and down smoothly.
Tomorrow I’ll do the other side.
The truck has 10000 miles on it and after two pressure washes it’s starting to come back to life. There’s military green underneath all that dirt and grease!!!

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a new master cylinder and bled the brakes today then installed new batteries. After over three months of sitting in my driveway the deuce is finally rolling!!! I would love to show the video, but for some reason not videos pop up to attach so I attach a couple of data plate pics.IMG_1349.jpgIMG_1400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck has a 14 foot bed on it. Does anybody happen to know where that size bed came from?
Also I am in need of front fender lights and bases and mirrors and mirror brackets. If anyone has some for sale please send me a PM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks