• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 1971 AM General W/W Birmingham AL To Athens GA

olewhiskey

Picked up a M35A2 from outside Birmingham. Was stated had a leaky master cylinder . Paid for it at City Hall and went to yard to pickup. Batteries were low and got slaved off by SWAT team HUMVEEE. City had a brand new 5 ton wrecker that looked it had just been completely rebuilt. Tried to pump up brakes but instead had too much air. Clinto1 had graciously allowed me to borrow his super incredible brake bleeder and fittings, along with his ultra rare and Thor's hammer style short 3/4" wrench for under floorboard work. Also threatened pain of death by rain of Deuce tires If I lost said holy artifact. Best thing I did was to bleed them out as we had full brakes the whole way. City had already topped off tank full of fresh diesel ! A trip to the Whatabuger in the last bit of air-conditioning I would get and a quick detour to Lowe's for ear muffs for a 30db reduction was the last thing in order before getting on the road.
The city allowed me to use their
Tools for a few quick adjustments, I had brought a full set but they had some better ones that cut my prep time in half.
The water hose to wash out pollen and bucket of soap.
The shops air hose for bringing up the tires.
I was also informed :
the truck came out of Fort Rucker
It was last used in the Tornado that struck the city last year.
Fluids and belts checked lastly and rolled out, my trusty Valkyrie driving the chase truck, we headed for the Georgia border.
Shifting through the gears we took Hwy 65 straight through Birmingham and rolled effortlessly on the HWY, the truck burbling up the big hills and wanting to pull past 55mph. First rest stop for bladders .The only hitch was the dead stop to merge on the I 20 ! Knowing our arrival in Atlanta would coincide with Monday afternoon apocalypse time for traffic I opted to cut over from Bremen and travel through the less populous west of GA and come across Rockmart and Cartersville to 20 and over the dam at Lanier. A couple of stops for drinks and a leg stretch was all we needed, and one stop at a Cantina with a generous 40 acre parking lot for turning around in. I only had one old man try to merge under the driveline for a close call. Perhaps he forgot his glasses that afternoon ?
This truck has gads of power, all the instruments work, I need only replace a master cylinder,oddly tweaked glad hand and the right rear brake light. There are two small rust spots we'll patch out and dress. Fluids were changed in the last year. Makes great sound and power. A long but enjoyable trip.
Special thanks to Clinto1 who stood by on the phone for my first M35A2 recovery, he is the Deuce Doctor !

olewhiskey

Nope.old brake fluid from flushing the lines. City put on new wheel cylinders thinking that was the problem and not the master cylinder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks