• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 + 6-71T Detroit Diesel 2 Stroker Marriage ???

74M35A2

So, I don't belong in the 2.5 forum because I only owned one for a week and had the chance to double my money on it, so I did. But it was a total riot, and I wanted more of it. With that, I went and bought an M925A2. But, upon doing so, I met a fellow enthusiast (WildChild467) that is fairly close by and has a nice M35A2. So, we now have this situation:

He also has a "109" in storage, which I think is a cube van version of an M35A2. I have a 300hp rated 6-71T two cycle Detroit Diesel in storage (pic in engine section of SS), factory equipped with a supercharger (blower), turbocharger, and a 7 speed spicer manual trans. I have yet to compare the engine dimensionals (anybody have them on hand for the LDT/S?), but I am guessing the 6-71 is likely longer and taller. I'd be more than happy to ditch the mechanical fan for an electric one, and even ditch the radiator and just go with a simple rectangular aluminum one with twin 24V fans mounted at an angle in the bed front or rear of cab. We'd ditch the cube on the back and run a bed or 5th wheel hitch plate.

I believe one member here has done it, no pics and he hasn't posted since 2014? Any ideas or input is valued, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......... I am guessing the 6-71 is likely longer and taller. I'd be more than happy to ditch the mechanical fan for an electric one, and even ditch the radiator and just go with a simple rectangular aluminum one with twin 24V fans mounted at an angle in the bed front or rear of cab.........................
I think you would have to ditch the grille too: from fan to flywheel the DD 6-71 has 54", while the Multifuel has 41"!

G.

JDToumanian

G is right... The 71 series is too big and heavy for a deuce. A 6-71 doesn't even fit in the earlier M54 series 5-tons without a doghouse cover in the cab. For a 6-71 you really need an 800 series or bigger.

I've looked into putting a Detroit in a deuce. A 6V-53 won't fit without moving the steering. The only easy-to-fit Detroit that has adequate power (similar to the multifuel) is the 4-53T.

Jon

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How about more info on the 7 speed, is it OD, is it the old narrow case.. that 671 needs more then 7 speeds because the older DDs 53, 71, 92, has such a narrow power band and that is wide open at 2100 If I remember correctly but falls off quick. I would guess that that power pack came out of a truck that had at least a 3 speed aux. trans., could even had a 4 speed aux. That power pack came out of a truck when truck drivers WERE TRUCK DRIVERS, driving twin sticks and in some cases tri sticks.

If the narrow case and OD, I would be interested.

Last edited:

74M35A2

The 7 speed Spicer is 1:1 in top gear, and is not a narrow case. It is what came in the OTR truck, which was a 1982 C9500 GMC tandem axle tractor. No aux boxes on the rear of trans. Not sure if the tandems had anything, no switches on the shift lever.

You guys need to think more positively, I have a Saws-All and a Miller 211 :cool:. The cab doghouses in those days, and including this truck, were for the air compressor on the rear of the engine. We can ditch that and do a belt driven one up front or several electric ones. Fan can go into the trash, radiator can move to bed, and grill can move forward slightly if need be. Still want it to look mostly correct otherwise it defeats the purpose. If need a raised hood portion then it is what it is, that may even have some coolness factor to it. It will definitely sound cool running. I have seen (pics of) an M35A2 with the Cummins 8.3 in it, and it had a raised or cut out hood portion which looked ok.

Next step is to park WildChild467's M35A2 next to the 6-71T, open his hood, and go back and forth with a tape measure. 2 stroker would sound fabulous on a hill climb at the next rally. Come get some:

671T.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

I think you would have to ditch the grille too: from fan to flywheel the DD 6-71 has 54", while the Multifuel has 41"!

G.
LDT/S is 48" long, 41" tall, and 1600lbs. Source: http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!engines/c18ta
6-71 is 56" long, 52" tall, and 2200lbs. Source: http://www.barringtondieselclub.co.za/detroit/6-71detroit.html

I think the length is do-able, but the height of almost a foot taller is huge by the firewall (bulkhead in todays PC terms). That portion may require a doghouse. Ugh. Will have to look and see. Maybe that measurement is just the deep end of the oil pan in that case and can be changed.

If I think it will fit after visual inspection and measuring, I'll be posting a want ad looking for an M35A2 rolling chassis, sans engine and radiator. Wild's 109 is now out of the program because he wants a neutered truck and I want 3 axles.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The 7 speed Spicer is 1:1 in top gear, and is not a narrow case. It is what came in the OTR truck, which was a 1982 C9500 GMC tandem axle tractor. No aux boxes on the rear of trans. Not sure if the tandems had anything, no switches on the shift lever.

You guys need to think more positively, I have a Saws-All and a Miller 211 :cool:. The cab doghouses in those days, and including this truck, were for the air compressor on the rear of the engine. We can ditch that and do a belt driven one up front or several electric ones. Fan can go into the trash, radiator can move to bed, and grill can move forward slightly if need be. Still want it to look mostly correct otherwise it defeats the purpose. If need a raised hood portion then it is what it is, that may even have some coolness factor to it. It will definitely sound cool running. I have seen (pics of) an M35A2 with the Cummins 8.3 in it, and it had a raised or cut out hood portion which looked ok.

Next step is to park WildChild467's M35A2 next to the 6-71T, open his hood, and go back and forth with a tape measure. 2 stroker would sound fabulous on a hill climb at the next rally. Come get some:

View attachment 586348
1:1 top gear with a 2100 rpm limit is going to mean you're going to run the governor in a deuce at 38mph top speed. 42mph in a 5 ton axled truck.

Alternatively, you could get to 49mph with 14.00's on a 5 ton. Or 43mph in a 2.5T with 395s.

74M35A2

1:1 top gear with a 2100 rpm limit is going to mean you're going to run the governor in a deuce at 38mph top speed. 42mph in a 5 ton axled truck.

Alternatively, you could get to 49mph with 14.00's on a 5 ton. Or 43mph in a 2.5T with 395s.
Interesting, thanks for the quick math. So the M35A2 trans must be OD in top gear. None of those speeds are really worth the work. I could possibly hook to the M35A2 trans. I believe the 6-71 is governed to 2600rpm. That with an addition of 11.00's may work. Not sure if the trans could survive. If no hard hole-shots or heavy load pulls, maybe......

dmetalmiki

Now that is a brave and interesting project. Your enthusiasm will carry it through. Post up pictures as you carry out the works. And of course a video of "that sound" when completed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks