• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2-a3 comparision

rustystud

stupid air assist... if your going reconfigure a why not swap out the steering box for 6 bills verus the air kit for thousands
The navy did alot cucv type of thing through maron and international early ones in the mid eighties where sticks as the none clutch type drivers became mandated. gave way to crappy generation allisons and cat trannies..
The military wasn't the only ones using the air assist steering systems. A few of our bus fleets used them also. I think there was a really good salesman from the air assist company out there getting a lot of government contracts in the 1980's.

Hoefler

IMG_0806.jpgHaf Filter Frame and truck 006.jpgIMG_2991.jpgimage.jpgIMG_3389.jpgIMG_0792.jpgimage.jpg
How much do you drive yours? I would like to see how one would hold up under my driving habits.
I use it a lot. Have recently posted a thread on hauling rocks with it. My A3 is usually hooked up to a trailer hauling a large Bobcat with brush, large trees or rocks in the bed, hauling steel, doing parades for Vets. Truck runs year round up here-even in the cold. She has been reliable and mostly trouble free. My CTIS has been dis-abled. The A3 tires and wheels have been replaced too.
Pete

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best thing you can do to your A3 is loose the CTIS system , good time to service the brakes . The next issue would be tires , I used a set of 395's and it worked out well . Never had any trans or engine problems , I guess I was lucky ? . I do agree with Wreckerman , would have loved to been in the room when the decision was made to overhaul a bunch of 20 year old trucks ! LOL talk about a BS session !!!!! good luck on your choice , enjoy the ride !!!bob k002.jpg

Ford Mechanic

I've had the M35A2 and loved it, But I like my 5 ton M923A2 better! More room in the cab, Power steering, conventional 8.3 Cummins instead of the obsolete LDT-465-1C, Air brakes, Bigger tires 14.00's on mine, 70+ MPH!!!!!, better fuel mileage, and it's bigger than the M35! It does have a auto in it, I'd rather have a stick but at least it's a mechanical Allison auto. CTIS is a pain so I removed all of mine.

I took my M923A2 to Hatteras this year. We went out of Ramp 49 (Frisco) for a week never had any issues

Attachments

nchittendon

I was like you in the fact that before this year, I was the noob. However, I had been reading SS pages for almost 6 years before I bought mine.

If you're not a 12 year old girl, the he-man steering in the deuce isn't bad. Just be prepared to spend the money on maintenance. The Military had a bigger budget than you do.

First thing with the deuce, make sure you get a winch truck. I wish I had, but the price was right on mine. next step, get rims/tires.

If you get harassed too much on here for asking simple questions, feel free to PM me and help anyway that I can.

Oh, and post up pics when you get your truck!

red

It's not so much the cost of the "upgrades" that was considered, it's more of who offered the best 'incentives' to those making the decisions.

Both the A2 and A3 have their benefits and can be upgraded. If you're more mechanically inclined the A2 is a better option. If you want to buy a deuce that's already easier to drive and would prefer to take the truck to a mechanic (commercial engine/trans), get an A3.

rustystud

As a heavy truck mechanic who has worked on and rebuilt these engines and transmissions I'll say I would stay with the A2 trucks. The CAT engines in these years are great engines (present engines worth crap !) but they are like a Lamborgini which needs specialty tools and training to work on correctly. The Hercules engine is like the Chevrolet, anyone can work on them with minimum tools and training. The Spicer transmission is also easily repaired with minimum tools and training, while the Alison needs a whole boat load of specialty tools and don't even consider working on it without the service manual and some serious automatic transmission experience. My first injury was working on an Alison MT650 back in the 70's. Testing the lower piston assembly I forgot to use the hold down tool and ended up in the emergency room getting the glass taken out of my eye's after the piston hit me straight in the face knocking me out and breaking my glasses. Yes they where safety glasses. Yes parts is more readily available for the CAT, but they cost twice as much. So now you have even more opinions to consider. Just remember opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they all stink !

6X6WES

wow after reading every thing in this thread inc all links I didn't realize how many have asked . I really appreciate all the real world answers to my unknowingly redundant question. so I will make my choice and roll with it . thanks all of you who answered from your hearts not just drawing a line because "everybody else says" I don't usually follow the herds any way I choose to make my own trail. and only have to please myself! well ill be hanging out and reading till I get my truck here to my shop. till then thanks again

Last edited:

6X6WES

thanks I had just removed my question from the bottom as I was in that thread reading about it just as you posted the link. thank you though

6X6WES

well I figured id update this thread in case anyone else had wondered which models to buy. I ended up with a m936a2 wrecker // a m813a1 w/w // and just got a m105a2 trailer //so I got plenty to play with and repair! ive been hit hard with the green metal disease![thumbzup]

Attachments

6X6WES

really ! iv'e never texted in my life ! I am a mechanic not a English major I am doing good just getting the spelling close! I don't think it would matter to most people here learning these trucks! ps I went back and looked at the last couple and they were in sentences!:x

6X6WES

thanks pete the wrecker and trailer I got from gl, the 813 from a truck refurbishing co . the wrecker I got everything fixed so far with the exception of a leaking boom ram. it was in good shape most every thing worked ,some light wiring / park brake valve stuck / and some other minor stuff.i think conv to a2 was in 05-06 still waiting for all paper work to get out on the road .only been able to drive close to the shop. trailer is almost new cond w bows and tarp great deal on gl got it wed. out of fort bragg / 813 was and is supossed to be fully gone thru but it arrived with some wiring (repairs - issues ) as well but seems like all mechanical is in great shape . I can here sprag working / starts right up not much blow buy / all new brakes rubber hoses - master - wheel cyl's - and shoes / bearings packed / no leaks so far / fuel tanks been flushed / motor and radiator as well / and all new fluids / belts and hoses / im gonna drive it home for the first trip tomorrow.:)

Attachments

Hoefler

I have the same wrecker as you. Made a the mistake of running the cable to far up into the pulleys at end of crowd. Make sure you pay close attention to this area. I was fortunate to not break anything. Further-dont side load the cable. I did that once and had the cable pop in between the two sheaves at top of crowd. Couple of tips for you. Enjoy the wrecker. Soon you will find lots of uses for it-including some ridiculous ones.
On the sentence stuff-loose the hash marks. Coma's and periods and capital letters are the only thing keeping your post from easy reading. By doing this, you will keep un-wanted attention from the admin here.
Enjoy your two rigs-they are top notch. Make sure to post any up any stuff you change on them.
My best,
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks