• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Advice

M35A2

Hello guys.

I'm looking at adding to the fleet and have seen this M35A2C for sale in the UK.

The guy has said that its an ex USAF but for some reason he has marked it up as ex USMC? These are the main points,

Stated year 1958.
Hurcules LDT 465 1D Multifuel upgrade before release
Rust free and no major leaks
Front axle rebuilt with new seals and gaiters
No block or cab heater
Auto engage front axle - not airshift
Rear seats fitted and dropside body - Is the dropside body standard for USAF and did they supply these to the Army and Navy too?
Brakes rebuilt with new master cylinder, pipes and wheel cylinders as ness.
Tyres 50-60%
Truck will do 55MPH at 2400RPM.
NOS Rear cargo cover and cab canvas.

One of the main questions I have with this truck is the front axle. If you look at the pictures you will see that the axle flange sticks out from the rim by about 2.5 inches and has a triangle shaped lug with a hole drilled through. What type of axle is this as all the other ones I've seen the flange is flush with the hub and has a dome type dust cover?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to make as many comments as you can, I need a little persuading!

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

April 18th, 2010.

M35A2:

The triangular ears on the front hubs may be additional lifting points, but as I am most familiar with the M35A2's, other members here will likely chime in with the information you need. Personally, I am more taken with the air shift modification to the transfer case, which my truck in the icon has, as the sprague unit trucks like yours can be a little hairy when in 6 wheel drive. Should you stop on a hill with the sprague automatically engaged, and drift back at all on starting, you may have both the front and the rear spragues engage with adverse results. Usually when Uncle Sam had these rebuilt in the 1980/1990's, they tended to retrofit them with the Air shifts and deleted the sprague units as they could be a problem.....

Good luck on your truck, to see one with the tarpaulin and cab paulin still in canvas is worthy, though I find the more modern covers easier to maintain, as my trucks sit out uncovered (unfortunately)..:-(

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

Last edited:

M35A2

Based on the information you have provided and assuming the truck is a 1958. There is one thing that the 58s did not have that your truck has. In 1958 there were no dropsides available so the box would have to have been added later. Maybe when they upgraded the truck to a A2. As far as the hubs go the axle is the same as any other deuce axle just the hub is different. I bought a deuce in Minot, ND and it had the same hubs on it. I am not sure but I think some of the tanker or chemical deuces used that hub. Someone will know and post a response I bet soon. Anyway I just removed the special hub and put the normal one on.

The truck looks to be in very good shape. So I would not be afraid to purchase it if the price were right.

Thanks Maccus,

I've emailed the guy for some more pictures of the engine bay, rear view, cargo area, underneath and of the gauges when on idle.

What oil pressure range should the gauge show at idle Maccus? I'm led to believe that it should be about 60psi?

Also would it be possible for a latter truck to still be fitted with an auto engage axle? Is it an easy option to convert to air shift?

Also he states it does 55mph at 2400rpm, is this normal or on the slow side?

Thanks for your advice. I will post more pictures here if the guy sends any more. The trucks 220 miles from me.

Thanks

Andy

M35A2

April 18th, 2010.

M35A2:

The triangular ears on the front hubs may be additional lifting points, but as I am most familiar with the M35A2's, other members here will likely chime in with the information you need. Personally, I am more taken with the air shift modification to the transfer case, which my truck in the icon has, as the sprague unit trucks like yours can be a little hairy when in ^ wheel drive. Should you stop on a hill with the sprague automatically engaged, and drift back at all on starting, you may have both the front and the rear spragues engage with adverse results. Usually when Uncle Sam had these rebuilt in the 1980/1990's, they tended to retrofit them with the Air shifts and deleted the sprague units as they could be a problem.....

Good luck on your truck, to see one with the tarpaulin and cab paulin still in canvas is worthy, though I find the more modern covers easier to maintain, as my trucks sit out uncovered (unfortunately)..:-(

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

Hi SaddamsNightmare,

Thanks for your input. I haven't looked at the truck yet, but it does seem to be in pretty good condition. The guy who owns it says he has had it checked over by two mechanics on contract to the US Army and they cannot fault it.

With this Sprague axle. Are ALL axles on this truck engaged in this way or are the rears permanently driven and only the front axle is a sprague? Is it easy to retrofit an airshift system to the existing axle or would it require a whole new axle? Can the sprague axle be disabled by removing the half shafts or front propshaft?

Thanks again,

Andy

Stan Leschert

Re: Hub flange. This was fairly common in older trucks that did not have winches. To self recover a stuck truck, a tire iron was inserted into the hole. A chunk of rope was tied to it, and the truck put into gear.

M35A2

Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated. Keep them coming.:driver:

The truck does look pretty good. I wonder why they put in a 465 D turbo engine but didn't change the front axle? Cost probably...:?

mcmullag

sprague

You asked if the truck is always in all wheel drive if it has your type of set up.
Answer is no, front only engages when back wheels start to slip.
You can find some threads on here about it with detailed explanations and pictures or drawings of how it works. (those cartoon book manuals on here somewhere seemed to have good info on the sprague set up, and warnings about rolling backwards in first gear or sumthin like that, if you have that set up) That seems weird if they updated the bed that they did not update to an airshift front axle.
I thought those front hub ends were for self recovery too.
The truck looks to be in nice shape.

best of luck....

saddamsnightmare

April 19th, 2010.

M35A2:

The deuce with Spraugue unit system is designed that all 4 sets of rear tires drive all the time. Unfortunately the corollary is that on tight turns on pavement the deuce tries to swing about the 2nd axle, scuffing the rear axles tires terribly. The Sprague is designed that when there is a 7% difference in rotational speeds between the disengaged front axle and the rear two, then the clutch cuts the front axle in until the speeds match, then it disengages. If you take the transmission tunnel cover (floorboards) off in the cab, there should be a lever connected to a round rod projecting out of the right rear top of the transmission, it is this linkage which tells the forward or reverse Sprague clutches to engage according to whether the trucks moving forward or in reverse. The problem is that the system is not sophisticated as to be able to differentiate between and foward Sprague engagement and a rearward drift back situtaion (or vice versa). Once the Sprague clutch is engaged in one direction of motion, a driftback (or drift forward) will lock up and engage the other clutch automatically too, then all H--l breaks loose in the transfer case. The system couldn't handle the real world of 18-20 year old drivers who could be careless, so the Army converted to the air shift in rebuilds, placing the front axle under the driver's absolute control. It is possible to convert from Sprague to Air-Shift, the usual suspects will be able to provide you the parts (White Owl, Eastern Surplus, Memphis) or you may be able to salvage the necessary parts in a auto wrecking yard in Europe or Great Britain that has an M35A2 with air shift lying around. Save for the West Coast Mirrors, though your truck has the original or modified orginial mirrors, you should be able to obtain the correct kits as salvage or purchase, and I am sure some of us here can provide photos for the mountings.[thumbzup]

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your photos show what appears to be a very nice looking truck. The front hubs are for self-recovery. The only worry I would have is the sprague. They work well if the truck is driven properly, but can be a problem. I would convert to air shift if possible, but the sprague is original.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The front hubs are off a water purification truck. Do a search (probably using the phrase "purification" in the deuce section and you shall be rewarded. :D

Good to see you back Andy! When are you coming to visit us?

M35A2

The front hubs are off a water purification truck. Do a search (probably using the phrase "purification" in the deuce section and you shall be rewarded. :D

Good to see you back Andy! When are you coming to visit us?

Hi Clinto,

Thank you very much Sir.

There was a period where I would just pop in and out, but didn't post. I'm a Moderator on a forum called British Truckers Abroad and have also spent a lot of time on the UK based Military Vehicle forum called the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, check it out. HMVF - Historic Military Vehicles Forum

I don't know if you have seen the pictures in my photo album on here, but I went and bought a Bedford MJ truck direct from the British Army. However they are changing the law about safety inspections and in the not too distant future the truck will require one which means a lot more expense for me and it's just not worth it for amount I use it. If I buy a pre 1960 truck then I don't need the yearly safety inspection and I also get free road tax (which is £165 a year). Also I have to say that the Deuce is in my blood as I've wanted one for 15 years or more and the urge is just getting too strong.;)

I actually came over to visit in February. It was my 40th Birthday and my better half treated me (us) to a week in New York. We stayed in the Waldorf Astoria in Mid Town Manhattan. I even got to see a National Guard unit with lots of Hummers and a Stewart and Stevenson parked out on the street as well as the USS Intrepid...[thumbzup]

OK Clinto, back on topic.

What do you think of this truck? There are a few things that I'm wondering about. I've looked at a Government website that allows you to enter the civilian registration number in to check the current situation regarding road tax. It states that the truck was first registered in 2002, so I assume this was shortly after it was released. Looking at the lights its not fitted with the running lights that I've seen on European based trucks, so would this have been a UK truck as its supposed to be ex USAF and I'm presuming it might have come form Lakenheath or Mildenhall?

It's fitted with a dropside body which I'm led to believe is a latter body type for this truck. It has the latter type sprung drivers seat as well as the 465 D turbo Hurcules engine, these all seem to be latter mods, but the truck hasn't got the bracket for West Coast Mirrors and it hasn't got an airshift front axle. So I'm left with the feeling that it might not be original. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank You Sir.

Andy

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Remember most of the parts on these are (for lack of a better term) plug and play, meaning they add parts to fit a need. Have a need for a dropside bed, well swap it out. Thats the nice thing about these.

As for the transfer, just make sure you know what your doing and you will be fine. You can even swap it out if you want.

In my opinion I say get it.

Last edited:

M35A2

SaddamsNightmare, thank you for your reply Sir.

I'm still a bit confused about this Sprag set up. If I was to change it to an airshift, would I need to change the gearbox and the front axle or just the gearbox or just the axle???? :confused::confused:

How reliable is the sprag system? Have there been instances where the sprag clutches engage in normal operation and then stay engaged. I've seen that they require adjustment, is this an easy job with no special tools?

Regarding the West Coast Mirrors, these are a must for me. A) Because I hate the look of the old ones and LOVE the look of the West Coast Mirrors and B) The West Coast Mirrors are much bigger and offer better rear view vision.

I've Googled these and can't seem to find anywhere that sells them. Unfortunately Uncle Sam has prevented us Brits from purchasing trucks and parts from the US. A friend has tried to buy parts from places like Memphis and Oshkosh but has been told they are not allowed to sell parts abroad. The only way would be for a member to purchase the parts for us and ship them to the UK (for the appropriate payment of course);)

The guy selling the truck has promised more pictures and I will add them on here when I receive them. The truck is located 220 miles from me.

Thanks

Andy

Thank you to all the other members for your answers also.

M35A2

Hi guys,

I have got some more pictures of the truck. The guy has forgotten to take some of the engine, but I've asked him to take some ASAP.

Please, please can you have a very good look at the pictures and tell me if you spot anything out of the ordinary or of interest.

I've noticed the following;

Bump stop rubber missing
One of the rivet heads on one of the spring retaining clamps seems to be very rusty and is breaking up.
Axles seem to have rebuild plates, is this correct or are they just manuf plates?

Are all the gauges reading how they should at 500RPM?

Thanks guys.

Andy

Attachments

M35A2

Thanks Gunboy!! What do you think of the new pictures?:drool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks